Is respect a godly trait?

I'm just curious if people of any faith are taught or feel that respect for each other, meaning ALL people, is a godly trait to have? Is it something you think your god wishes to see you display for yourself and others?
What does it mean to "respect" another, IYO?
Do you think respecting someone different than yourself means you are accepting their ways? Can you respect someone while still hold onto your own values and morals and ideals?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• From what I read on CM, no most religions are not taught to respect others. They are taught that if others have different beliefs they are lacking and need to be persuaded to change their beliefs.

To me respect doesn't mean accepting other beliefs it means accepting that other beliefs are valid even if you disagree with them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I'm just curious if people of any faith are taught or feel that respect for each other, meaning ALL people, is a godly trait to have? RESPECT IS A GOOD THING AND GOD IS GOOD, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BELIEVE IN GOD TO BE RESPECTFUL, AS A PERSON PEOPLE SHOULD JUST BE THAT WAY, IT MAKES LIFE EASIER.

Is it something you think your god wishes to see you display for yourself and others? YES

What does it mean to "respect" another, IYO? KNOWING YOUR LIMITS

Do you think respecting someone different than yourself means you are accepting their ways? NOT NECESSARILY, YOU ARE JUST PUTTING THINGS ASIDE TO COMPROMISE OR TO NOT BE CONTROVERSIAL.

Can you respect someone while still hold onto your own values and morals and ideals? YES
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Wanting respect is a human trait. Giving respect is not.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• It's all a human trait either way, if you want respect you have to give respect, treat other's like you want to be treated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Respect is earned, and has nothing to do with what faith one practices. If you earn it, you will receive it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I do believe respect is a quality God expects of us, as it goes hand in hand with compassion, humility, graciousness, kindness, forgiveness, patience, love, and so on. I mean, you cannot truly love someone if you do not respect them, as true love is selfless and is lacking in all the negative traits, such as arrogance and prejudice, etc.

IMO, respect is treating others with decency and consideration, regardless of whether you agree with them or not. You can disagree, can be strong in your beliefs, and still be respectful.

I don't know why some people think that being respectful means they have to cater to others - all it means is honoring each other enough to not offend each other.

We are all called (regardless of our faith) to show kindness and love to each other anyway, you'd figure respect would go right along with that.....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• IA with what everyone is saying. Why does it seem a lot of people have such a hard time with respect? I know we all lose ourselves sometimes, and we become disrespectful. BUt at times, I feel like that disrespect is second nature to some. And I hate to say it, but it seems it comes from a lot of hard core Christians.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You can respect someone else without agreeing with their views. I respect the fact that another has their own view, but that doesn't mean I have to agree or tolerate their view. I respect a gay person as a person, I love them as a fellow human and show kindness to them, however, I disagree with the homosexual lifestyle and I believe it is wrong and sinful. I don't agree with abortion, however, I would never judge or be unkind to a person for having one. Just because a person is a Christian & lives by Christian values, does not mean that person is a hater or is judgmental or ignorant. Respect has nothing to do with whether a person is a Christian or not. I do not respect immoral, mean, hateful people, whether they are Christians or not, but I love them as people.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Anon~NO where in my post did I state anything about christian values=they are a hater. PLEASE do not state things as if I did. I don't want ppl to misinterpret my question and start going off on a tangent that wasn't even warranted.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• no, it's something taught, and learned threw your parents and society.

It doesn't HAVE to apply to religion or God, although many believe respect in something to be valued so they incorporate it into their religions.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:39 AM on Aug. 23, 2009