How can I get the binky away from my two year old daughter for good?

My two year old daughter, Sumayah is a binky freak.LoL. She can't go anywhere or do anything without her "fiey" as she calls it. Her doctor says that she will be alright with it for now, but I'm afraid that is will not let go so easy. Please help!

youngmomma711

Asked by youngmomma711 at 11:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, if she has to have it for everything, it will be hard no matter what.
    When my each of my boys turned 2, I "lost" the binky. I told them "i'm so sorry, mommy lost the binky"
    There was crying, but I distracted them with something else, like tickle torture or chasing them. At bed time, I had to tell them I lost it again and again, there was some crying, but by the 2nd or 3rd day, they forgot all about them. The sooner you get her off of it, the better, I think. Good Luck :)
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 11:18 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My two girls were 3 & 18 mos. when I took their paci's. Honestly, it was harder on me, I felt so guilty about taking them "cold turkey". They did OK and they don't even remember now (they are 7 & 9). LuvMyBoyzz is right, it only lasts a couple days and the sooner the better! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• my son is 20 months and we are going through a similar sit we have gotten it away from him all day but he stll needs it for naps and bedtimes I know the best way is cold turkey we just find ourselves putting it off good luck
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• my mom and dad said that a dog took mine...and I was fine with it...I gave it up really easy...my daughter just stopped taking hers when she was a few months old....
    wruss

Answer by wruss at 12:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• my son had his till two and a half he was SUPER attached, carried like three around at a time lol. One day I just started only letting him have it at nap and bedtime and then i took him out one day and we talked about it and just said he was too big for it now and that was it he was ready though that was the key, he was okay with it id just try and get it down to naps and bedtime if you could. i know some ppl say the binky fairy comes and they leave the binkys in a special spot for the fairy and then the fairy leaves a treat in the place where the binkys were (kinda like the tooth fairy) and they will say the fairy took the binkys to the babies or whatever that has worked for a few of my friends, good luck!
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 12:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Take it away and be done with it. It will all be over in a couple of days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You have to replace a behaviour with a behaviour.  When my oldest was a binky addict I bought her a new doll.  I showed it to her and she wanted it so I reasoned with her.  I told her give me your binky and I'll give you the doll.  It took a second but she gave up the binky and never asked for it again.  She still have that doll to this day and she is 8 now.  She used the binky as a soothing/security item so I replaced it with a doll.  It worked for me it's worth a try.  GL 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My kids got rid of theirs before 10 months, BUT... my girlfriend's oldest kept hers until 4. We eventually tricked her out of it, we were out of options. When she wasn't watching, we grabbed them all up and soaked them in vinegar. We then put them back. She started turning them in willingly after trying one, convinced they had spoiled because she was too old for them. Nothing else worked. I know it sounds bad, but keep it in mind if you don't get rid of it early enough or refuse to give it up. The principle here being the child actually chooses to not use the binky. Yes, they were tricked, but there was no lasting trauma or drama, because she willingly refused to have anything to do with them. Your child is younger, so you may not want to employ this method, but keep it in mind for later if needed. You may be sparked by the idea and find a better solution too. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My Suggestion and it works!!!

Go to a Build a Bear Work shop... ask them to stop when they fill the bear up half way, then have your little one put the binky inside of the bear and have them fill the bear up the rest of the way.  This way she will still have her Binky, but inside of the Teddy Bear and she can carry it with her where ever she goes and she can sleep with it! 

Good Luck!

MommaBear_0406

Answer by MommaBear_0406 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I took my daughters binky away when she was about 19 months I think. I gave them to her, all of them, and told her that they were dirty and we had to throw them away. She did it herself.
    That night we let her stay up a little later, and wore her out playing with her. She passed out about an hour past her bed time. The next day at nap time she asked about it and I told her that we threw them away because they were dirty and that we couldn't use them any more. She was fine and fell asleep. She asked a couple more times through the next 2 weeks and then stopped asking about them.
    She is now 22 months and perfectly fine. I only took it away because it was starting to affect her teeth.
    Do whats best for your baby, and what you think you both can handle. I have also heard that poking a small hole in the top will make it undesirable for them and they will self wean.
    Good luck
    Underwoodwife

Answer by Underwoodwife at 6:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2009