Is it okay to bring my newborn into the house with my cat?

I have heard horror stories and everyone is telling me to get rid of my cat..
Of course my child is way more important than a cat, but I will be devistated if I ever had to give her away .. That cat is like my child l0l
I am curious as to what you ladies have to say about this ..

xohcannizzo

Asked by xohcannizzo at 11:21 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm assuming you haven't had your baby yet...otherwise you would have been in the house already...lol.

I used to work at a pet hospital (as well as had cats my whole life) and we had many clients ask this same question. What the vet recommends to new parents is to take a blanket that isn't all that important to you, wrap baby up in it after baby is born (obviously, after you're in your recovery room) and have dad, or another relative take the blanket home and put it in your cats favorite spot. This is to get your cat used to the newest additions smell. When you bring baby home, let your cat smell baby, but always use caution.

As long as new parents use common sense when it comes to their animals, it's perfectly fine and safe to have them around new babies.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Unless there are problems between the baby and the cat, no, do not get rid of your pet just because others tell you to.

"Children who grow up with dogs and cats in the home have a significantly reduced risk of developing pet allergies — plus common ones, like allergies to pollens and molds — by as much as 50 percent or more."

Info from:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/08/27/earlyshow/health/health_news/main519978.shtml
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:31 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• im asking because I have heard of cats taking the childs breath away because the cat smelt milk on the breath..
    xohcannizzo

Answer by xohcannizzo at 11:37 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have 5 cats and have never had a problem with bringing home a baby, a few things to watch for are that the cat stay's out of the crib, a trial run to see what the cat will do is good, if it jumps in the crib squirt it with some water. But beyond that, it should be fine, my cats will start sleeping with my kids around 8 months , not regularly, but if the baby can move around sit up there is (in my expierince) no issue.

There are horror stories out there about everything, but like with most things if there is a little precaustion used then most of what we see as horror stories wouldn't really be out there.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:39 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have two cats and MANY other pets and two kids. I also foster cats and dogs. I did not get rid of any cats or other animals.The only problem I had with my cats is they loved to sleep on the baby blankets. There is no reason to get rid of your cats when you have a baby.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 11:43 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Its an urban myth...and this site will tell you all about it and its origins:

http://www.messybeast.com/urbancat1.htm#baby
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:44 AM on Aug. 23, 2009