Would you consider it selfish

I really want to have my moms chili for dinner. But last time I had it it made my daughter have belly pains so I havent had it since (Im breastfeeding)
So Im thinking of giving her a bottle of formula before bed instead of bfing her. Shes had formula afew times in emergencys. Am I selfish for wanting to eat chili?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No....it could be worse things that you are wanting!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:45 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Honey, eat the chili!

One night of formula is not going to hurt your daughter, and you deserve to give in to your needs/wants too!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:45 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I think what you have put your body through over the last year would justify you giving your daughter a bottle while you indulge in chili!! You would be selfish to breast feed her knowing it will upset her stomach, but not to bottle feed while you have an innocent bowl of chili! You go eat that chili!!!
    McKenna399

Answer by McKenna399 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• why not pump a bottle before you eat the chili?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• no I dont find that selfish! if you have some guilt, you could always pump a bottle! if you dont pump a lot, you could mix it with formula, so your baby can at least have some breastmilk. enjoy the chili! =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:55 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I vote to pump a bottle of BM over giving formula, but that's just me.

I loooove chili, and thank goodness my baby never had any problems tolerating, so I really feel for you!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Well I completely cut out dairy and caffeine from my diet for my first child for 18 months while he nursed and yes there were times I craved it, but I didn't eat it for his sake. If you really want to eat the chili then I would pump and get enough of a bottle for her and then go ahead and have the chili keeping in mind that you would have to pump and dump most likely to avoid engorgement and depending on child's age avoid the small risk that it could affect your supply.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• OP- Well I can barely pump anything, and definitely not the 6-8oz she would need before dinner in 3 hours lol. She is 6 months old so Im not worried about it affecting my supply.
    I probobly would have planned ahead and pumped but I didnt find out untill today that my mom invited me and hubby over for chili.
    It's seriously the best chili ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• No, do it. There's nothing worse than being stressed about a new baby and then getting denied all the great food and stuff we couldn't have when we were pregnant. I'd do it if I were you. We started supplementing my DD with formula around 4 mos. btw. I don't think it's a bad thing at all.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• 6-8 oz is NOT what a baby needs..she needs 1-1.25 oz an hour so if you feed her every 2 hours then 2-2.5 oz bottle, every 3 hours a 3 -3.75 oz bottle. AT 6 months her tummy is most likley much more able to handle the chili, my son had issues with Garlic, by 6 months it was NO issue.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

If you have no issues with formula then fine, but I have major issues with formula(not FFIng moms just the actual formula)

tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2009