Anyone else's child have severe reactions to mosquito bites?

We just got back from the ER (she's fine) because a mosquito bite my 18 month old daughter got last night turned into a fluid filled blister overnight. I have never seen anything like this before. The ER doc said that while she was obviously sensitive, blistering wasn't that uncommon. Does anyone else's kid react like this and what do you do to keep them from being bitten in the first place? She wears a citronella bracelet most of the time because bug sprays tend to irritate her excema.

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 11:49 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 2 year old gets the fluid filled bites and I use Burt's Bees bug spray. It is homepathic and mainly citronella. She doesn't have other skin problems though so I don't know if it would work with the excema. Maybe try putting on her clothes only? I also carry Witch Hazel with me at all times and as soon as I see a bite I get some on it. It helps with the itching and they don't seem to get as filled with fluid when I do this.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• When DS was younger he would get a big bump on his neck that the Pediatrician said was from the bug bites it was ugly but harmless. The best thing I found was the Avon skin-so-soft bug relepent, he still got bit with tha but not as bad.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• my grandson gets bumps as large as golf balls over mosquito bites. His dr just gave my dd an epi pen for him

Answer by admckenzie at 11:58 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I get them .
    I love the burts bees bug sprays lol actually everything burts bees i love
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• There are other essential oils you can use to repel bugs. Mosquitos don't like garlic, basil, lavender and bergamot oils also. you can find those at a health food store and google recipes for how to make them into a bug spray, or try it with an unscented lotion that doesn't irritate her skin- just be sure to read up on proper dosage to mix it.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 4:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• YES! My son is like that. His doctor told me to put ice on it and Calamine lotion, and then give him oral benadryl. Oh and my son also has eczema.. I use CUTTER. It's awesome... no perfumy smell, works like a charm.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Yup. My 2nd & 4th children are bother allergic. They'll turn into hard-as-a-rock knots and blister up on top like a sunburn does.

Last yr we had to evacuate from Ike. Out in the middle of nowhere on the road west of San Antonio, my middle son had to pee.. so we just pulled over. That night, we found the bite --- right on the tip. We gave him some Benedryl.

By the next morning, it was so bad that he couldn't pee in a straight stream (went completely sideways) and the swelling was so bad he was about to start tearing. He's intact, too...

So, on top of living in a hotel not knowing if we had a house left, we spent half the day in the ER.

Oh yeah... fun times.

Oh... and I almost forget --- he's allergic to bug spray, too.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2009