I need a laptop and need advice

I came into some money just recently, and I am starting a new job in a week. I am going to be the head and only cook at our church's school. Because of the government there is a lot of paper work, besides the normal menu making, ordering of food and keeping track of who ate etc... I don't have a lot of money to spend and was wondering if any one could tell me some basics in a laptop I should be looking for?

Minnesotamom

Asked by Minnesotamom at 11:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Shopping

• The biggest cost from a laptop will be the screen size, so think long nad hard before you spend a lot of money for a really big screen. The other big factor is weight-- do you mind lugging around almost 10 pounds? The next thing you want is processing speed, or "RAM"-- your hard drive is mostly likely going to be huge so no real worries there, but the ram should be sufficiently high enough to keep up with what you're wanting to do. Most these days have 1 GB of ram, and unless you're going to be using high graphics, that should be plenty.

If you belong to a warehouse club, you can get some really good deals on pre-configured sets that are less costly than if you were to build it yourself.

Batteries: Do not believe the battery life claims. It's usually closer to half after you've used it. Be sure to let it die the first few times-- you'll otherwise fry the battery and it'll be useless.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I had an HP notebook...it was around $800 and normal size...it bit the dust and I didn't have much money for a new one either, so I bought the HP mini...netbook...I thought I would be unhappy with the size...it's much smaller..but I just love it...went to get my pics of my old laptop and it seemed just huge and cumbersome to me...the mini was $299..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My uninformed advice is...get a mouse to go with it. We have a laptop at church without one and it is a pain. For me anyway. If you're used to a mouse, it will take awhile to get used to using your fingers. Then again, maybe i just don't have the patience to wait to get to my page. LOL
    dsm9864

Answer by dsm9864 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Nobi Laptop Computer
    Tue, 10/07/2008 - 4:49pm | by Eric

Meet Nobi, a small user friendly, full functioning laptop. The small, yet packed laptop even comes with a small price of $449.00.

Perfect for easy travel, kids in school, and just sitting around the house.

This cool little laptop weighs only 2.8 lbs. and has dimensions of 9.4x7.7x1.7 inches. The Nobi is on display at the KanOkla Technology Store, an authorized RadioShack Dealer.
    Also get a couple of jump drives to back ur stuff up no matter wat kind you decide on. I don't have one of these but several ppl I know have them and are pretty happy w/ them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Sep. 2, 2009