When did you enroll your child in Kinder?

I have three boys. All with summer birthdays. My oldest is a Junior and is pretty much the youngest in his class. He is very smart, passes all his classes, but still is not as mature as others in his grade. My middle son waited until he was 6 because his MDO teachers thought he wasn't ready. I spoke to different teachers and they all agreed he would be a young kindergartener and he could benefit from starting at 6. He had a great school year. Do not regret it at all! Now my youngest is 5 yrs. Emotionally I do not think he is ready. He will still pull tantrums, last year he would cry to come home instead of staying at MDO, and he gets angry and will push and hit. (He has epilepsy and we think it agression may come from the meds, but he needs them!!!) I just wonder if I am being silly or do other believe children can benefit from being one of the oldest in the class?

eluc

Asked by eluc at 12:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you can either do it towards the end of the school year. or late in August if your child is starting in september
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 12:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• where i live, the child has to be 5 by dec 31st of that year...so kids can enter kindergarten at 4, as long as they turn 5 by dec 31st.......

however, way back when..lol..my bday is january 4..and my school made an exception for me, because i missed the cuttoff by 4 days!! but they let me in anyways!! looking back, i wish my parents would have waited one more year, i may have been ready for the younger grades, but, as soon as grade 7 hit, it all went downhill from there,
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I started school at 4 yrs. And like you, alexis 06, by the time middles school came along I struggled. My oldest son too. I think I making the right choice.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 5:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My DD just turned 5 in June so she will be about middle as far as age goes. She did Pre-K last year at the school, and she was 4. This year at 5 she is going to kindergarten. My oldest did Spanish kindergarten in Spain when he was 4 because he was really ready for school, then he did American Kindergarten when he turned 5. He is at the top of his class right now, as is my oldest who started kindergarten at 5.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• mine had to be 5 years old bt september before they would let her start.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I was going to send my oldest son to kindergarten at 5 (summer b-day-- July 1st). When enrollment time came, though, and we saw just how much is expected of kids these days, we waited. He went at age 6. There was a definite benefit and that was- he was truly ready and we felt confident about the decision. It wasn't an advantage, but it was a benefit to him. He is 9 and entering 3rd grade now and doing well!

I have a daughter who turned 5 in January. She will go to kindergarten this year. I have no reservations about her going this fall.

My youngest son is 4 and going into pre-K. He already does seem ready for kindergarten in every way, so I am about 99% I will be sending him at age 5.

I just think that whatever each individual child needs, do. You seem to have reservations and IMO no harm can come from waiting, but it can from sending them when they aren't ready. Good luck!!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 9:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I think it's best that children start Kindergarten as late as possible, especially boys. They often lack the emotional maturity, and while they might do all right in Kindergarten, it does become a problem in the next few years. Better late than early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009