I have a20 month old son who is behind a little in speech does it help for them to be around an older kid?

not necessarily an older one but one that is talking more

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it helps. Every time my ds (22months) goes over to any of my friends houses who have older children(from 2.5 to 5)...he always picks up at least 2 words...not kidding.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 12:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Being around older kids who speak clearer always helps. And also make sure you speak clearly to him and avoid using "baby" words that he has created for certain toys or other things. Hope this helps.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• No. He needs to be around kids who are speaking "age appropriate.

I have one in speech due to a severe delay. Our speech therapist told us to try to have him around kids his age, who are speaking as he should at his age, in order to help him. Being around kids older and speaking more have actually hurt him because he tries to but can't keep up with them (speech-wise) so he shuts down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My son suffered a verbal regression at 18 months and has been severely speech delayed since. He's 26 months old now. He's in speech therapy through Early Intervention. We also expose him to as many talking children as possible, preferably ones his own age, so he can gather that its NORMAL to talk and its desirable. Slowly, he's figuring this talking thing out, and has decided it isn't so bad.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 5:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I agree w/ Anonymous. That is what my DS's speech therapist said as well. This is also the reason why you shouldn't let your LO watch TV. They try but can't keep up with all the talking so they just shut down.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 8:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• well i dont let my baby watch that much tv i try to play with him as much as i can and really jut talk to him very clear and slow so he can pick up the word and so far hes been doing good he repeats almost everything i say in english or spanish
    yunque000

Answer by yunque000 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• What about a kid who is 2.5 months older and is talking a little more than him
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 5:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think you're ok with the one who is 2.5 mos older than him, as long as the other child isn't speaking FOR him. My nephew started talking later because he had 4 older siblings and didn't HAVE to talk. One of the older girls never shuts up, so he probably couldn't get a word in. LOL

I was beginning to think my DS might have a speech delay, it took him forever to start really talking. Right after he turned 2 it seemed his vocabulary simply exploded. Now there are days when I long for 5 minutes of quiet. (he's 2.5)
    Also, in bilingual homes, kids typically start talking later. They don't have any delays once they start talking, it just takes a little bit for them to start. My theory is that they are still absorbing as much as they can of both languages before they start speaking. It's definitely easier at that age to learn two languages and being bilingual has become a big asset when looking for a job in some fields.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2009