What is your opinion of respecting your parents? (in a moral, non-religious kind of way)

This is a spinoff of the other question on respect.

What if your parents demand 100% no questions asked respect from you, but they don't treat you with respect in return?

Will you obey them and respect them no matter what, or is there a certain point or instance that would cause you to not respect them any longer?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't respect either of my parents. I respect my grandparents tremendously though.

i don't think that respect is something that is just given, it needs to be earned, even with parents and family members. As children we are raised to respect our parents, and as I child I did. However, as I grew into an adult and realized that my parents were not people worth respecting, my views changed.

Your parents are people too. If they are not respectable people, why respect them?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• As an adult, giving my parents respect is a choice. My father, he has my undying respect for many reasons. My mother (not my birth mother, but she raised me) lost a lot of my respect over the years. Starting from the time I was 12 yrs old. She's doen many things over the years to whittle away that respect that I think I would otherwise hold for her.
    I think respect is a two way street, even with our parents. But children should be shown respect from the parents as much as TO the parents.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• What if your parents demand 100% no questions asked respect from you, but they don't treat you with respect in return?

They get the kind of respect they give! Granted there may be things we disagree on but if they want MY respect they better treat me with some. And Yes I have gotten into arguments with my parents where I felt they didn't respect my decisions and we "hashed it out".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I AGREE WITH KRITI ON THIS ONE, YOU HAVE TO RESPECT TO BE RESPECTED.

Answer by older at 12:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Good points, I wish my parents could talk to you guys. My dad has never really spoken about it, but UGH my mom was all about respect respect respect when I was a teenager. Sure, I did some things that shouldn't have been tolerated, but for the most part I was a great kid. I feel that my mom treated me like shit and unloaded her problems onto me because she wasn't happy, and misery loves company.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My mother was all about "respect" as well. Drilled it into my head....and then she did the most disrespectful thing to us as a family. And has continued to disrespect me as an adult. It's bullshit.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I don't believe anyone deserves respect without earning it & giving it in return. That includes parents, bosses, cops, etc.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• If everyone has to "earn" respect....then who starts giving it first? You or them? Do you disrespect them until they respect you? if so, maybe they think the same way, and don't respect people until they earn it. So who starts it?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Well since this is in the "religion & beliefs"...if you are going by God's word, then yes, I believe that you might wanna respect your parents.

He says to Honor your Father and Mother. it did not say, "Honor them only if they treat you the same."

I know someone who curses at her mom. It makes me sick and very uncomfortable. Her mom asks a question and she will get mad and say, "I don't know, mom, shit!"

And she wonders why her 3 year old hits her and curses at her.
    I'm sure she will end up in a hospital one day when he assaults her when he is a teen.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I'm kind of torn with that one because they don't respect me. And shouldn't respect be a two-way street? I respect that they raised me and took care of me as a child but as an adult I wish they would have some respect for me. To get respect you have to be able to give it, don't you?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009