Did you hear Grassley today?

Senator Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) acknowledged on Sunday that the claims he made two weeks ago -- that Democratic health care legislation would allow the government to "pull the plug on grandma" -- did not reflect the language of the bills.

In an appearance on CBS' "Face the Nation," the Iowa Republican admitted that the current legislation being considered by Congress didn't include the infamous death panel provision that would allow the government to determine who should live or die.

"I know the Pelosi bill doesn't intend to do that," said Grassley. "It won't do that," he added later.

Grassley's admission concludes several weeks of speculation as to why the senator, one of three key Republicans negotiating a bipartisan health care bill, would latch on to the infamous myth

NO DEATH PANELS, EVER! What say you death panel pushers?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The Iowa Republican said he was merely trying to quell concerns of constituents who had read about death panels on the internet and grew scared when they heard talk of increased government involvement in the health care system.

"I was responding to a question at my town hall meetings," he told host Bob Schieffer. "I let my constituents set the agenda. A person that asked me that question was reading from language that they got off of the internet. It scared my constituents. And the specific language I used was language that the president had used at Portsmouth. And I thought that if he used the language, then if I responded exactly the same way, that I had an opposite concern about not using end-of-life counseling for saving money, then I was answering and relieving the fears that my constituents had."

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• "And from that standpoint, remember, you're talking about this issue being connected with a government-run program which a public option would take you with, you would get into the issue of saving money, and put these three things together and you are scaring a lot of people," he added. "I know the Pelosi bill doesn't intend to do that. But that's where it leads people to."

Touching of the bizarreness of the whole segment, earlier in the program it was Grassley who was accusing the White House of damaging health care negotiations by sending mixed messages on its beliefs and preferences.

"It would help if we did not get conflicting views from the White House," he said.
    sweet-a-kins

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dr-RnZcgPY&feature=player_embedded
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• and yet you claim to never solely focus on republican shortcomings.....look over the past 20 or so of your political posts....you'll soon see a trend................lollololololololo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• so.....youtube is a credible source all of a sudden....didn't get the memo!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

umm, when have YOU posted something that was "bi-partisan"? I HAVE posted negatives about dems, specifically about John Edwards and also a fact based myths and facts about health care reform, thats stated myths on BOTH sides

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

Face the Nation is and that is where he made these statements

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I don't know what most of the Republicans have said about the bill. I don't depend on others to tell me how to feel. I wouldn't imagine that the wording would be exactly that or that there will be death panels. I don't like that government will be imposing restrictions on people who can't afford health care, but they will be penalized for not buying even the incorrectly named 'public option'. I don't like that they want to require that you change to the 'public option' if you lose your current coverage due to job loss or choosing not to insure yourself (again, removing the operative word option). Government should stay out of the final product of health care reform and the single payer / public option will kill any competition in the free markets. THAT is not what our country stands for. Reform, YES. Government included in final product of reform? HELL NO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2009