Do you agree with this statement about the uninsured?

They can wait until the recession is over

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Who made such a statement? I've never even heard this ever mentioned or discussed.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Before the recession, HC wasn't perfect so I don't understand what difference waiting it out is going to make.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• A quick Google search of the OP's question showed that Joe Lieberman said it today!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=385x358423

Guess he's not looking to further his career!!!  LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

Because for every year we wait, MILLIONS of American families are losing their HOMES and financially collapsing due to health care costs.

Lieberman is definately taking a , um, different path in his political career...not sure WHERE he fits in

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• "Because for every year we wait, MILLIONS of American families are losing their HOMES and financially collapsing due to health care costs."

That was the point I was making. It was broken before the recession so waiting until the recession is over isn't going to all the sudden make it better. It's better to fix it now than wait.

I always forget sarcasm doesn't always come across well in a post.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• ANON 12:54/OP
    But, including a link and expressing your opinion or stating that it is sarcasm DOES come across well in a post!!!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• That was the point I was making. It was broken before the recession so waiting until the recession is over isn't going to all the sudden make it better. It's better to fix it now than wait. I always forget sarcasm doesn't always come across well in a post.

LOL..my bad, sarcasm is my second language and I missed it!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Heck, I am insured and I can't wait until the recession is over. What difference does it make if you are insured or not?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Yes I do agree with it in the context it was used: "Morally, everyone of us would like to cover every American with health insurance but that’s where you spend most of the trillion dollars plus, or a little less that is estimated, the estimate said this health care plan will cost. And I’m afraid we’ve got to think about putting a lot of that off until the economy is out of recession. There’s no reason we have to do it all now."

We need to make sure everyone has jobs and the ability to support their family before providing them with health insurance. It would be great if we could do both but it doesnt seem like we can. There are many more people in the US who just need a way to support their family, then who are in desperate need of health insurance. I would rather parents be able to FEED their children, then worry about them seeing a doctor when they have a small fever

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• The only context I can imagine for this to be publicized by the media is that it is somehow part of the health care bill debate.

May I remind people that even IF the health care bill were to pass the House & Senate, it would not go into effect until a couple of years from now !

Wait until the recession is over? How about "wait until the bill starts to take effect" ... ?
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2009