ugh...this is the worst....need advice

before i hear oh breast is best...i know, but i cant breast feed becuase of the medicine i take....anways....i boobs hurt and are swollen, what can i do to make it stop, with my son i dried up in like a week, and now i try packing ice in a sandwich bag and putting it in my bra...help with pain but not the pressure....any advice....im not looking to get bashed....just adviceon how to relieve the pressure....thank you all even the bashers

Mamaof2boys0709

Asked by Mamaof2boys0709 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my doc told me to wrap them in an ace banage tight and wear a sports bra...it is painful but it works.
    Ladyj2121

Answer by Ladyj2121 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I heard cabbage leaves work.
    Sorry that's all I got
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 1:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I agree with the above poster. A TIGHT TIGHT sports bra and wrapping up.

But for a quick fix...standing in a hot shower feels great. BUT, that might increase your milk causing it to be worse in the long run.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• yea, I didn't b-feed my 1st daughter and the Dr. had told me to go ahead and put on a sports bra and one morning I woke up and my boobs were so big and swollen inside that bra...that was the worst...but it did help...I have heard that the cabbage leaves work...good luck...its pretty rough letting them dry up but it does get better..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• VERY few meds can't be BF on...make sure you check using this website
    http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

Doctors and even the inserts in the medications can be wrong because they don't know the studies that the National library of medicine has done and linked on that page.

If you want to wean then wean yuorself with a pump...slowly stop pumping...use crushed cold cabbage leaves, sage teas or pills, wrapping can cause major infections...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't express any milk from yourself, that will tell your body to make more. Can the doc give you something that dries up your milk? I have always bf but I know there is a pill supposedly that you can take. Also heard the cabbage works great too!

mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 3:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• NO BINDING!!!!! NO tight bra. NO ace bandage. SUPPORTIVE, but well fitting bra. Binding can cause clogged ducts and lead to infection, this is outdated advice. Cold cabbage leaves in the bra are said to help.

That said, I'm NOT bashing, or judging, but there truly are few meds that are unsafe for nursing. Many docs and pharmicists are just uninformed on breastfeeding, and want to cover their asses. If you ARE interested in nursing, check with an LC, LLL leader, Thomas Hale's site or book, or the Lact-Med database site to see if the medication is truly unsafe. Also, if you do want to check, I have the Medications and Mothers' Milk book by Dr. Hale, and am willing to look up anything for anyone who asks. This book tells the Risk Category, and also, if the med is unsafe, what a comparable safe drug is. Just wanted to offer up the information for you, or anyone else who might read this/need this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009