Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are there any clinical psychiatrists on CafeMom?

After you got your Bachelor's, what did you have to do next?

Answer Question

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 4 (32 Credits)
Answers (1)
  • A psychiatrist is an MD. You have to go to medical school just like any other physician and specialize in psychiatry. I think you mean clinical psychologist. To be a clinical psychologist you will have to look at the licensing requirements for your state. In most states you can be a clinical psychologist with a Masters in Clinical Psychology. There will be a certain number of clinical hours that you must have practicing under a licensed psychologist. You will also have to take a state licensing exam. For most states the program must be APA approved. You can also earn a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, this program must also be APA approved. The best thing to do would be to go the website for your state Occupational Licensing Office to see what the requirements are. Hope this helps!


    Answer by FL2AK at 4:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.