How do you make a child listen without screaming all of the time, my throat hurts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• are you being funny? your throat hurts? maybe you should stop all the yelling and talk to them. explain why we don't do this and instead we do this. a 3 year old isn't stupid by any means.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• seriously i used to try that approach out of frustration, but it doesnt work if you never yell they will listen even when you talk with a normal tone although the adjsutment will take time and be hard on you if you are used to yelling, grab a pillow cover youre mouth and scream away then go talk to your child calmly..
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 2:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• get down to their level and make them look at their eyes. i always have my son repeat me if i say " campbell no jumping." he knows to say "no jumping" that way there is no misunderstanding and i know that he knows what i mean!
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 2:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• you need a parenting book, and if you take ladydahl's advice that would be a great start. yelling doesnt solve anything.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Miss Heidi--yeah I think she's serious, I feel the same way some days...my throat actually hurts from yelling.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• If you yell all of the time, your kids stop listening.

You definitely need to save raising your voice for situations that you really need to get your child's attention right away...like about to touch something hot, running away from you in a parking lot, etc. If you yell all the time, then you will not be able to get your child's attention when it's really important.

You need to be consistent. Don't let your kids see you sweat. Keep yourself level headed. The moment they see that they've pushed your buttons, you've lost the battle. Consistency is the only way you will gain their respect and get them to listen.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• EXCELLENT answer thrivingmom!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If I have to yell to get my children to listen, I'm 2 seconds away from putting them on serious lockdown.

Take a serious look at your discipline strategy and rules... If they can get you to their level {screaming goes into nearly tantrum territory} you should switch off the words and rely more on action.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 1:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2009