I wanna give my baby the very best start but.....

I have this problem i wanna breastfeed but i dont want the baby sucking on my boobs i actually dont prefre anyone touching them (went through some stuff when i was a teenager an im still tryin to deal with it) but anyways my doctor doesnt want me pumping til we are discharged from the hospital! I dont know wat to do i have only 4 weeks left til my due date an im tryin to figure out what to do! Could i formula feed him at the hospital than pump breast milk when we return home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Pregnancy hormones can make you feel different emotionally, as I am sure you have noticed. It is possible that while you are in the hospital with your baby in your arms, you won't feel the same way. My breasts are rather sensitive, sexually speaking, but at no time did I ever get those sensations while nursing. It is a completely different sensation and you might be fine with it. If you aren't, talk to your doctor again. If they see you emotionally can't handle nursing, perhaps they will be ok with you pumping in the hospital. You can switch, but it isn't the best thing for a little digestive system. If your Dr. won't listen, try and speak to a nurse or therapist even. Just try and stay positive about the entire breastfeeding idea though, if you look at it in another light, and don't dwell on negative experiences, you may just work through it and then you and your baby both will be better off. :)
    BunniBunni

Answer by BunniBunni at 2:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• What kind of doctor can tell you you can't pump in the hospital?! If you bought your breast pump, what are they going to do...take it away from you. And if you are renting one from the hospital, won't they have to show you how to work it anyways? You do what's best for you.....the L&D nurses are the ones you will see round the clock, not your OB. And as the girl above said, maybe whatever issues you have will not be present when your baby eats.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You can do whatever you want to do. I did both breastmilk and formula and my sil gave breastmilk but used a bottle. Not everyone wants a baby to nurse from their breasts. It was very painful for me physically that is. Breastfeeding is not easy, you need to do what you feel most comfortable with doing. There is nothing wrong with giving your baby the bottle and nothing wrong with giving a baby formula either. Choose what is best for you AND your baby. Good Luck.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I felt the same way. One thing that helped was going to a breastfeeding class. I was still very apprehensive about the whole thing. I expressed my concerns with one of the nurses and they brought me a hand pump...but also encouraged me to give it a try first. And that is exactly what I suggest. You can always bottle feed, but you cannot go back and breast feed after your milk is gone. So try it once or twice and the nurses will be glad to help make sure things are going right. We actually had a lactation specialist at the hospital. If that does not work then you can feed with a bottle or a pump. Something that helped me "try" was I never wanted to say that I never tried to breast feed, and once I tried it I was more comfortable with it! Good luck and know you will make the right choice for you and your baby!!!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• if you really love your baby you will do whats best for him/her. it's sad that the media has made breasts sex objects. that is not why God made women have breasts. your baby needs colstrum which is what comes out first, your milk changes after that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I'm curious why your DR said he didnt want you pumping in the hospital. Every time I have been in the hospital they have encouraged me to pump and nurse to help the milk come in.
    Any way, you may very well change your mind when your baby is here. I was really weirded out by it as well but I got past that relatively easy once I had my daughter.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• omg. anon 3:53 what is your problem?? its not just the media. she said she went through something traumatic!! seriously, you have no idea what that was! but most likely it was a very haneous sexual crime against her that makes her uncomfortable. at least be understanding like the wonderful people above you. and she DOES want to give breastmilk, she just wants to use a pump to be more comfortable. and it doesnt have to do with if she loves her baby, it has to do with her mental health.

and honey, take the breastpump to the hospital. they usually make you use one while your there to make your BM come in faster. and your doctor should understand your concerns!
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2009