How many religions

How many religions have you actually studied from a non-biased perspective?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 2:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Since I write about spiritual topics, I've researched a lot of different religions and spiritual beliefs. Plus I've always had a great interest in different beliefs and cultures. Some of the religions I've studied are Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Taoism, Buddhism, many of the different Pagan beliefs, Shamanic practices and some Native American beliefs.
    AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I'll be perfectly honest. None other than Christianity. Mainly because I was raised in the faith,and once I came to realize how much I needed God, I just never felt any need to explore anything else. For me,at least, once I found the best, I had no need for the rest. I've actually learned more about Pagans, Atheists,and all since I've been on here than I ever did in real life. But, as I said, that's just me.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Satanism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Some "Pagan" religions, a few varieties of Native american Beliefs, I think that's about it
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• thirty eight
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• The big three and their more popular divisions, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, the most common religions in contemporary Paganism, as well as classic Paganism...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 2:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You never study from an unbiased prospective. Religion can not be studied in that manor anyway because religion is at its core based on faith. It is not objective. So I would honestly say zero.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• In a reasonable amount of depth: Christianity, Buddhism, and Hinduism. In a more cursory way (via a World Religions course in university) Islam, Jainism, neo-Paganism, Wicca, and various Christian denominations.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• "You never study from an unbiased prospective. Religion can not be studied in that manor anyway because religion is at its core based on faith. It is not objective. So I would honestly say zero."

Belief is based on faith...religion is just what people do with that faith...its easy to study what people do, and only slightly more difficult to judge that on the terms of their faith rather than your own--anthropologists do it all the time. Its just a matter of filtering out one's cultural bias...filtering out one's theological opinion isn't much different.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 3:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• As many as I have found information on. I have mostly studied the Abrahamic religions through a few philosophy of religion classes & in studies of comparative mythology, but I ravenously read books on "primitive" religions (past & present) and ancient religions. I have had a few classes & read a fair amount on "Eastern religions" esp. Buddhism & Hinduism, but also Shinto beliefs, Taoism & Confucianism (though these 2 are often considered philosophies rather than religions). Comparative religion & mythology are some of my favorite subjects.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I don't think using the word study is right for me to use... I know of several Christian Denoms fairly well (was raisied Mysorri Synod Lutheran) I research Satanism, Hinduism, All Native American beliefs and All Paganism branches...
    I also continue to read and learn about others of those who peek my curiouisty...
    I use what I know or read to only compare those/them to what I already practice to get a better understanding of what others believe in.. I do not use it to judge another or asume that I am right and they are wrong mind set either...
    As for how many? There are to many to that I know well enough and many more that I do not and am still learning about.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2009