What can you wear?

Hubby and I have a wedding to go to and I have NO idea on what color's you CAN'T or shouldn't really wear. I just went out and got the cutest black and white shoes with bright red heels and accents, and I wanted to do a formal pin-up kinda thing, sticking with mainly black white and red? Would that be okay to wear black to a wedding if it's done nicely?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Yes, I've done it a couple of times. As long as you spice it up with brighter colors it's fine.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• The only two rules that I know of are: 1) You cannot out do the bride and 2) make sure what you wear fits into a day or night wedding, as those rules are a little different.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I would say if it is after 5 or maybe a winter wedding. Black has become acceptable even for the wedding party. It use to be that one never wore white, black or red. However in some cultures red is a celebration color. I would use the invitation as a guide. Is it casual or formal? The time of day? The location? Reception at a park, church or ball room? That should tell you. You want to feel pretty but not stand out and feel self conscience the entire time. I would also call someone else that you know is attending and ask what they are wedding. There are are no real rules except no white. Wouldn't have mattered at my wedding, I wore a black and green renaissance dress. Yet, best to play it safe.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 2:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Wedding attire has become so questionable lately, we went to a formal afternoon wedding last month and some guy was wearing jean shorts!! Uugh! I wore a black and white peasant blouse with black dress slacks and felt completely comfortable. The fashions will run the gamut, from long formal gowns to jean shorts, but I think that black, white and red is perfectly acceptable to wear. I think that the only hard and fast rule is to not wear white as to upstage the bride.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 3:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i have worn black and white to a wedding several times and it seemed fine to me.
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 4:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• As long as you are not a family member black is acceptable to wear to weddings. If you are a family member and you wear black it shows you don't approve of the union.
    Love2beMom

Answer by Love2beMom at 4:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You never want to wear red at a wedding. The little bit of red in the shoes shouldn't matter but keep the dress in muted tones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Aug. 24, 2009