Do any of you have a parent who killed themselves?

How old were you? What were your feelings towards them && what are your feelings now?

Blueberryplz

Asked by Blueberryplz at 2:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• My dd's father killed himself. My dd was only 14 months at the time. She is now 26 years old. We talk about it sometimes. She has mixed feelings about it. Mostly she is mad at him for what he did. She feels like he should have thought of her, and wanting to be there for her to grow up. Most of her feelings towards him are anger. Sometimes she does feel like he had to have some serious mental issues to actually kill himself, so she'll feel sorry for him.....but honestly most of her feeling towards him and what he did are anger. She does feel hurt too though. It is hard to explain how she feels. She was so young she has no memory of him.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My father tried to kill himself numerous times but was never successful. He had detailed plans and was even cut down when he had hung himself. When I was younger I used to sneak into his room at night to make sure he was still breathing. He died of cancer last year and the greatest gift he gave us was that he didn't want to die.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 2:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• not my parents but my best friend's husband killed himself in front of her with a gun several years ago. to this day the kids believe a different specific accident took his life.

last march my cousin's husband killed himself with a handgun in front of her too.

psugal - what a beautiful gift from your dad that was to your family. i have chills in me reading that.

I am so grateful that the people I know who committed suicide did not do a murdersuicide. Those surviving loved ones of mine mean the world to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• psugal that gave me chills.
    to the op not in my family but i do have a good friend that i believe saw her dad right after he shot and killed himself. She has never said that she found him but different things have led me to believe that. Its something you will never get over. Im sorry if this happened to you.
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 4:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My boyfriends dad killed himself when he was 12. From what he's told me, his dad was a terrible person and treated the whole family like garbage. He doesn't even talk about him unless I ask something...which I usually don't.
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 4:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• MY DH'S FATHER COMMITTED SUICIDE WHEN HE WAS 16 YRS OLD. HE LOVED HIS FATHER AND STILL TILL THIS DAY LOVES HIM I DON'T THINK MY DH UNDERSTANDS WHY HE DID IT BUT IT STILL MAKES HIM SAD TO TALK ABOUT IT, HE IS 27 YRS OLD NOW. B/C OF HIS LIKENESS TO HIS DAD MY DH HAS BEEN TOLD BY HIS GRANDMA AND OTHER REALITIVES THAT ONE DAY HE WILL END UP LIKE HIS DAD, HE LOOKS AND ACTS JUST LIKE HIM BUT I DO NOT BELEAVE FOR ONE SECOND THAT MY DH WOULD EVER HURT HIMSELF OR OUR FAMILY SO BAD.

toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 6:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• OH LAST DETAIL DH'S FATHER HUNG HIMSELF AND DH AT 16 WAS SHOWN WHERE AND HOW HE DID IT THAT HAS STAYED WITH HIM TILL THIS DAY

toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 6:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2009