my son is gonna be pre-k age next yr, and im debating home school vs public school any advice no basher's please.

The schools around us have issues, there are no private schools, i was not home schooled, but i am considering it since all the things that go on in school today i do not believe in, such as drop youre kid at the curb you cant enter the school, promoting homosexuality, drugs, bullies, teachers rough approaches, parents not being allowed to make decisions such as holding youre child back etc., teachers wanting you to drug youre children so they can make less of an effort. and yes i am not using proper grammar or caps on here im in a hurry get over it, i want my child raised with love, kindness, religion, values, morals etc. so if you know how to get started homeschooling or you home school and have any insight im all ears. And i am prepared to get him to sylvan or a tutor if we run across something i just cant get him to comprehend.

danahake

Asked by danahake at 2:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in

• I've been homeschooling my kids since my oldest finished Kinder. The first thing you need to do is find out the laws for your area. Check hslda.org for your local homeschooling laws. The, find some books on homeschooling at your local library, look for homeaschool groups (online or local), type 'homeschooling' into any search engine & plenty of sites will come up. I have an article I wrote about starting to homeschool & what your first steps should be on my site (there's a link on my CafeMom page). There's some homeschool groups here on CafeMom, some on Yahoo, message boards just for homeschoolers. Look into joining some of those, so you can ask any/all questions you have & get answers from people who won't bash your choice.
    Feel free to contact me any time. I'll be happy to help in any way I can.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 2:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Hi I am an Early Childhood teacher that now runs a Family Daycare in my home and I do beleive that Home schooling at this age is much better for this age. I am a mom of 4 and they are all Honor students. I do have children of other families that have been home schooled by me in a much smaller group setting and they are all showing higher skills than those entering kindergarten coming out of Pre-school groups. My children learn all basics, spanish, American sign lang. and pre-reading and phonics. If they are late yr. starters they can read before they enter Grade K
    JAL3

Answer by JAL3 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• If that is what you want, then do it. Especially if you have such disdain for the public schools. I just can't believe that there are no Christian schools...but, you know better than I would. The only thing I would suggest, just for the social skills that your son will need, is to be sure to get him into some activities...marital arts, hockey, etc...something that is community wide...even 4H would be good for him.
    Good luck!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 2:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I think homeschooling would be great! =) Since you know Addy best, there's no one that can better teach him in my opinion. Brandon doesn't learn well from others at all...especially "strangers". So, after his classes I usually end up with a list of things to work with him on at home and he usually catches on pretty quickly for me. Good luck with homeschooling!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i think there a pros & cons to both. im scared of having my son in public school bc there are sooooo many bad things that could happen, kids bully him...teachers mean....blah blah blah & also the dangers like kids bringing guns to school. its a scary thing. but then again your child will get all the social skills he/she needs & it would be a break on you, give you time to get a few things done! as for home schooling, you get to be the one to teach your child one on one & MAKE SURE he/ she understands what they are being tought..you dont have to worry about the dangers you would with public school and you can always set up play dates with other moms in your area to make sure your child has the interaction of other children to build social skills! its a tough choice but i hope you c hoose what is right for your family. good luck! =]
    .Kelly.

Answer by .Kelly. at 3:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Thanks all yeah krystal I agree, I dont think it will be easy, but unless we move somewhere larger where there are private schools we can afford, I cant see sending him to public.

Busy goddess thanks so much for taking my friend invite youre page is full of wonderful info and youre expertise will be such a help not to mention the support from all you ladies.

I do also agree about the socialization, which I really try to do that anyway, because he is an only child as well. So I think music lessons and maybe an art class and some kind of sports would be well rounded as well for extra fun and socialization as well as physical education.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 3:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Since most of what said about the public schools isn't really true I think you to spend more looking to them. Why not spend some time volunteering at one of your local schools. After you spend a few days there you will have a much more realistic picture of what schools are like.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• HELLO ANONYMOUS. IMAGINE THAT, HOW CAN YOU KNOW WHAT THE SCHOOLS IN MY AREA ARE DOING? YOU MUST BE ONE OF THOSE MOTHERS WHO JUST WANT TO THROW THEIR KIDS IN THE CLOSEST SCHOOL AND COULDNT GIVE A STINK LESS, GUESS WHAT THAT IS NOT WHAT US DECENT MOTHERS DO.. WE WEIGH OUR OPTIONS, DID YOU NOT SEE THE NO BASHING. I GOT ALL OF MY INFORMATION FROM 2 TEACHERS AT THESE SCHOOLS ONE AT THE PRIMARY AND ONE AT THE MIDDLE SCHOOL, SO ONCE AGAIN ID SAY YOURE WRONG! DO AS YOU PLEASE WITH YOURE CHILDREN AND I WILL GIVE MINE A CHANCE AT A TRUE EDUCATION, WHERE THEY DONT LEARN THEY HAVE TO WEAR AMBERCROMBIE AND FINCH BUT KNOW WHAT KINDNESS, VALUES, MORALS ARE AS WELL AS HOW TO GO ON TO BE SUCCESSFUL AND A DECENT HUMAN BEING. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOURS.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 3:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• So sorry you were offended by the suggestion that you spend some at the schools before deciding they suck.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Wow Anon, it must be nice to know EVERYTHING. Have you visited EVERY SINGLE school in the country? I'd say mostly likely you haven't. So, what makes you think that you know how all schools are? Some schools do have the issues danahake mentioned. Some schools are even worse than what she mentioned. You might live in an area where the schools are a better environment, but not all schools are the same.
    She specified that she wanted advice on homeschooling, not someone who knows nothing about homeschooling telling her to put her kid into an environment she isn't comfortable with him being in. If you want to send your child to public school, then you do that. However, you really need to learn to have some respect for others & their choices. Just because you don't homeschool your kids doesn't mean that homeschooling is wrong. Homeschooling, like other educational options, isn't for everyone. Get over it.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 4:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2009