Please help me make over my families eating habits...

I am going grocery shopping today and I need easy healthy meal and snack ideas. Also easy to carry, and not to messy, lunch ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My husband and I really like cooking and grilling with pam...they have an organic olive oil, professional for high heat cooking and one specifically for grilling and also we use Bertolli light olive oil. This a the first step in cooking healthy meals. Use lots of seasonings as well for flavor. We eat boneless, skinless, chicken alot and fish (variety) and turkey burgers. Just spray your chicken or fish lightly with any of the pam cooking sprays season with lemon-pepper or garlic salt and any other kinds of seasonings you like. and grill also do the same with veggies. For turkey burgers you can mix a packet of Lipton onion soup mix or the regular Lipton soup mix for flavor and also slice up some avocado to take the place of mayo. Healthy lunch: wraps, get spinach or sun dried tomato wraps and fill with your fav. meats from the deli and add sprouts, veggies, and avocado. There's lots of healthy, easy, meal ideas.

geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 3:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You can start changing your families eating habits little by little by making little changes they will hardly notice, such as:
    ~cutting out salt from their diet and using more seasonings,
    ~buying frozen of fresh veggies as opposed to canned ones,
    ~buying more juices and tea as opposed to soda's,
    ~buying fruit to snack on as well as stick into their bags with their lunches,
    ~buy boneless, skinless chicken, and if you don't want to pay the extra for the boneless, then just take the skin off yourself.
    ~Eat more pork and chicken, and less beef (including hamburger and steak) we limit steak to once every couple of weeks
    ~Change the cereal your family eats to something that is still good...Life is a good alternative, but Cinnamon Life tastes better ;)
    ~Switch to multigrain bread as opposed to white bread. If you already eat wheat bread, make sure it is whole grain and not just enriched.

Good Luck!!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have a long list of bagged lunch ideas; send me a message offlist if you would like a copy.

Past the age of two, the only beverage that humans need is water; save the rest for special treats. Plan meals and snacks to include the following every day:
    7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    5-6 servings of whole grains a day (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, barley, whole grain tortillas, etc.).
    Replace meat and dairy with bean, lentils, tofu and other legumes

Answer by rkoloms at 10:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You should buy this book "Super food for children" By Michael van Straten & Barbara Griggs. It has so much info on different foods for all ages and TONS of recipes and QUICK meals.we are learning to be MUCH more health conscious with our everyday lives. :)
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Replace sweet cereal with rice krispies, cheerios, corn chex, etc. Buy 1% milk instead of whole, whole grain bread instead of white, wheat flour instead of white, yogurt or jello instead of pudding, fruit instead of candy.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009