Is 13 months too early to START potty training?

Where do I even being when it is time to train my son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my daughter we started at 12 months. We bought her a potty for her birthday, and everytime I go into the bathroom she follows me. So now when she follows me she sits on her potty. She is now 15 months old. We will soon be using pull-ups during the day when I am home with her, and when she follows me into the bathroom I will take her pants off when she sits on her potty.

Just remember - THEY have to be ready, not you. Don't push it, don't make it a chore. Do it gradually, and make sure he is comfortable and not feeling pressured.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I hope to god you're kidding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Oh, you will got a lot of opinions regarding this. Many pediatricians don't suggest it until they are least two. They do this for a couple of reasons. For one, at age 2 they have the ability to know when they have to go and they can hold it, but only for a short period of time. At age 13 months, they are not developmentally ready to train and training early usually means a longer time before they are fully potty trained. Now, you get mothers that tell you they have baby trained and their 15 month old is fully trained. Well, lucky them, but they are not the norm. If you train this early and you do it "wrong" you will have many issues that will take a while to undo. You need to ask yourself if it's worth the trouble.

MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 4:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• This wasn't my question, but I pick MotherofIreland for best answer! :)

i'd also like to say, good "answer" Anon. 12:52! *sarcasm*
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 4:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Just to add a personal experience to all of this. My son was 3 when i potty trained him. I waited until he was developmentally ready. It took literally one day to potty train him. He has only had 3 accidents in him pants and he is 41/2. With the exception at nighttime. My MIL tried to potty train my niece when she was just over one. She went through struggles, frustration, many,many accidents and pull-ups and it took my niece until she was 3 to be potty trained. That was about a year and a half of potty training!!!!lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have trained 150 children over 20 years as a toddler daycare teacher. I would say any time from 18 months to 2 years 3 months. If you wait past then you are setting yourself up for a battle of wills
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• It depends on if your kid is ready. They need to understand why they need to use the potty. If he indicates that he doesnt like his wet or poopy diaper, if he can listen to simple instructions, if he sits on the potty when you go to the bathroom, if he has wakes up from naps with a dry diaper, all these can show he's ready. My daughter is 16 months and showing all these signs, she even heads to the potty most of the time when i ask her if she needs to potty. So it really depends on the kid.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 6:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2009