My America..thoughts?

By Bill Horton

When I was a kid American boys played with toy soldiers and knew better than to point real guns at one another. We went to school and began to goof off in class and the teacher had the ability to render unto us the board of education. The thought of that was enough to stop most foolishness.

Today, drawing a comparison, children arrive at school with their 504 plan ready to immediately excuse them from a complication or difficulty that is theirs to over come. If little Johnny should do something in class mom shows up at school ready to go to war on the administration to back her little angel's behavior, not realizing that innocent little Johnny was disrupting the other children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with the message this author is trying to convey, but I disagree that children who have 504 Plans (a section of the Americans with Disabilities Act which specifies that no one with a disability can be excluded from participating in federally funded programs or activities) are "waste products!"

My Autistic children have the 504 plans (IEPs), and TRUST me when I say they do not get to take the "easy way out" at home or at school.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• The very thought of arriving at home after having done something stupid at school meant a severe tail beating was coming my way. Today, the child has no fear of an tail beating from their father figure because a good many of them today have no idea who that might be.

There have been divorces and the like throughout history but never before have there been so many excuses for children just being allowed to be dumb. They are told they are the greatest but with 504 in hand they have excuses coming out from every direction and some willing accomplice social worker is right there to get the school some federal money for having Johnny the wussy in their school. Johnny can do anything he wants as long as he gets the school their fair share of the dole. Never mind Johnny has no idea when the Constitution was written nor can he count change at his own darn lemonade stand in his front yard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Oh and how is that whole hopey and changey thing going for you?

Long gone are the days when American boys and girls wanted to be astronaughts. Now they want to be social workers or just get their “condo” in the project

I saw an interview with a man last night on NASA TV and this man was talking about how he wanted to fly when he was a child. Did it. He wanted to be an astronaught, Did it. Why can't anyone make movies about people succeding? Why do I have to see stories like this on a cable channel in the middle of the night? Why aren't success stories part of America anymore? Do kids get taught that is okay to get “a check” from the “gubment”?.
    Anonymous

• America has always represented the best hope for everything. I was told by the piece-of-nuts counselors in school that I did not have the aptitude for the complexities of the career that I wanted to pursue. That I should be welder or mechanic. Sure, I could have done that and I could have done that in New Albany Indiana, the problem was that I wanted to see the rest of the world! If I had listened to them I would never have realized the dreams I had. If I had listened to those pin-heads I would likely have never experienced any of the amazing things I have seen in my relatively short life.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I used to think that when I told stories of the amazing things I have seen and the amazing people I have met and served with I was gloating or braggin somehow. That is not the case. I was handed a couple to tickets to the West Coast Priemiere of TOP GUN. The Admiral that was in the movie, Admiral Cassidy was there. Several of the cast members were at this screening in San Diego. We went in our uniforms and wore white gloves. What an expertience to work at the place where that was filmed!
    Anonymous

• I went to Florida one time with my Aunt and I saw a nuclear submarine. We got to tour the boat. USS Simon Bolivar (SSBN 641). I got a feeling on that boat that I wanted to have something to do with that in my life.

I was never prouder of my Navy career than when I got to take my children aboard the USS Michigan (SSGN 737). They were asking the CO and XO questions about this amazing machine. They asked questions that were very intuitive and made the tour more informative for the others with us.

I have met many people through my career, I met a Navy SEAL that did a special for the Discovery Channel. This man taught a class that I had the good fortune of attending. Amazing the people America has produced. We collect pieces of the personalities of the people we meet in our lives. I hope to have picked up only one percent of the amazing Americans I have met.
    Anonymous

• America IS a place of opportunity. I heard an explanation of how some see the world; they lie flat on their backs, in their beds contemplating the many possibilities that are before them. Sounds romantic right? NO these idiots refuse to get up and do ANYTHING because it immediately limits their options when they actually do get up! What kind of idiots do stuff like this? Thomas Edison did not. George Washington did not, Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin did not do this.

I still see Americans as strong, industrious and gifted. America is now and has been since it's inception the exception to the rule. Europe has taken the easy way out in almost every sense for hundreds of years. Am

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• We are a society of excuses and victims. that is what are children are being raised to believe. Its not My Daddies America anymore. And wasn't when I was a kid either. My parents where older when I was born. My mom is 91, I am 45. They grew up in the depression and my dad fought in WWII. I was raised with their values, and I am thankful for that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Having had to deal with a kid who has special needs, I can tell you a 504 is nothing to sniff at. I work a lot harder with my kid than my friend who has kids with no 504 issues. I have to, because I want my kid to be on the same level with his peers, and he can't do that unless there is more work on both his and my part.

While there are those who misuse the IEP and 504 system, there are many more who do not. My kid's challenges are never an excuse for him. Never. I will not further handicap him with a way out of achieving all that I know he is capable of.

However, in the non-challenged spectrum of my kid's peers, I see LOTS of mothers who say "Oh, my kid would never do that!" and the kid is doing exactly what mom is proclaiming he/she would not. I have stopped playgroup with several of such moms, because I am also aware that my kid can be a shit like anyone else.

I get the point, but it's not only 504 moms....
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 5:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have Hydrocephalus (water on the brain), and have had it all my life.
    I have graduated high school and college and have been denied jobs because I do not drive (reliable transportation is not sufficient apparently) and I have a shunt (medical liability every ten years woo hoo). After five years of busting gut to get my name out there I got mad and a friend of mine opened a business for me. We are now the cheapest and safest laundromat in the city.

WELCOME TO MARS LAUNDROMAT!
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2009