Craigslist and used cars

My boyfriend and I have been saving for a car for a while now. I told him we should start looking on craigslist but he was told most of those cars are stolen! My thought is, they wouldn't have a title if it was stolen...and we wouldn't buy a car without a title!!! Has anyone else heard the same?

CrystalJanie

Asked by CrystalJanie at 4:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have bought and sold several cars on craigslist and have known a lot of people who have done the same if the person has the title in their name its not stolen. You get the same risks as you do buying a used car from anywhere. Make sure you bring someone who knows cars and knows what to look for and look up the blue book value before you go look at it.
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 4:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I would never buy a car from craiglist lol
    you can look at your local dealerships too and they sometimes have really nice cars that are older so they are selling them for 2000
    also you can look at goforapproval.com
    taht is drive time
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I would never buy a car off of craigslist, title or no title. There's no guarantee. Go to a used car dealership and get something that's been inspected so you know it'll be a decent car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My husband has bought and sold on craigslist also and most of it is fine just make sure the title is in the owners name.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 4:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I bought my Ford Bronco on craigslist, I love it, it runs great and we had no problems with it, my hubby knows how to work on cars so he checked it out before we bought it. like momavanessa said just make sure the title is in owners name.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I would never buy anything on craigslist. Too many weirdos. When I was searching for a used car my ex husband (a mechanic) told me to look at autotrader.com and that is where I found my car. You can type in what you are looking for, how much you want to spend, etc. When you go to look at cars ...bring your husband. Hate to say it but garages/dealers/mechanics WILL try to rip off a woman ..and if you don't know anything about mechanics you may find something that looks and runs nice but has issues underneath the car you don't see. I asked my ex to go with me and he jumped right in and was upfront with the dealer ..and me. I had him look in the engine, under the car, and take the front wheels off to check the brakes and roters (sp?). Sorry for all the info. Just trying to help :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2009