switching on baby...

what are your feelings on switching formulas on a baby of 10 months? i dont want to because she likes her enfamil just fine, but we have been paying so much as you all know, and we could be on wic.....but now they only do similac. ive heard its not good to change, but what do you think?

LadyDahl

Asked by LadyDahl at 4:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's only 2 more months, I'd buy it instead of switching at this point - you've bought it for 10, another 2 won't totally break the bank.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• With ds he could go back and forth between all the different formulas but it might upset her stomach. Give it a try. If she can't tolerate the similac I think your pedi can write a "prescription" for enfamil that wic will honor.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 4:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have always wondered why they say don't switch. Some babies have problems with it, but mine never did. I breastfed, but used the samples I got in the mail. My kids were all fine with any brand I gave them.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• yeah, it crazy the wic lady even said, "and even if you get a not from the dr. we cannot give you enfamil only sim. so dont try it."
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 4:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• at 10 months I'm pretty sure the digestive system is stable enough that switching shouldn't be a problem. We switched to milk at 10 months with a daily multivitamin.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• The whole WIC thing differs from state to state. But if you are going to switch, mix them. For instance what we did is mixed 4 cups of formula at a time. Put 1 scoop new formula in with 15 or old. Then each day or two add one more new and take away an old. That is less of a shock on their system.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• When I started on WIC ds was 6 months and used Similac. They told me they didn't provide Similac only Enfamil. After 6 months they told me it was fine to switch formulas so we did and he's used Enfamil since 6 months old.
    jdbaker22

Answer by jdbaker22 at 7:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• we switched to generic formula (target brand that is the same as similac advanced early shield) and he did fine. he's almost 12 weeks old now...
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2009