Silverware?

So when did your kid(s) start actually using forks and spoons. I mean, be able to actually use them?

DirtyMonkey

Asked by DirtyMonkey at 4:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Around 2 is when they started doing pretty good with a fork and then the spoon was the second to be conquered LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My son was using silverware very early on.. I think he was around 12 months old when he was using them to eat and not completely losing more than he got in his mouth. By the time he was 1 1/2 he was a pro at it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My youngest started with silverwear early on (around 1yr or so), he did not like getting his fingers messy.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My youngest was eating with a fork or spoon without making a mess by 17-18 months. My other kids were a little older (she's a major over achiever, lol). She would even eat soup and cereal with a spoon without spilling any. Her older siblings made more of a mess at the time (and they were 5, 6 and 7).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I give it around a year. It's like anything else, something that has to be learned. I honestly can't remember when they perfected their use of it but we started around 13-14 months. I'd just give it and let them play with it at meals. They watch us so much and mimic us, it wasn't long before they figured out what it was for and began attempting it :) How long it took to perfect it, was different for each one.
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 11:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2009