would you be offended?

I was at the duck race yesterday and i was getting my son's face painted. when it was his turn the lady said, " Oh, he's autistic isn't he? dont worry its my job working with disabled kids, I do that for a living..." my son isn't autistic. he is behind on his speech and goes to a preschool that focuses on his speech....he is 4. but he hadn't spoke, or anything she just said that before she even talked to him...it was wierd and and she wouldnt let it go " im disabled kinda too", she said "im sorta deaf in one ear..." i was like "huh." what would you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think I would be offended. Just annoyed and wanting to tell her not to try so hard. She sounds like she was trying to impress you with how "well she understood" your kid. As if she did!! I would be annoyed and just smile them later roll my eyes as I told my hubby about her!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I would feel a little off. Honestly, depending on my mood that day, I would either be offended/ticked off or just brush it off as she really didn't know. She must be just trying to make you feel comfortable about his "situation" if you were afraid that she wouldn't be able to "handle" someone who is autistic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I would be very offended, even if he was that is not her place to say anything, that was rude and uncalled for.
    That's why people shouldn't jump to conclusions and should keep there opinions to them self, unless asked for.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• also she was like 20, maybe. i dont know why, but the fact that she was so young made it worse....?? dont know why
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• That's like saying to an overweight person....When are you due...and they aren't pregnant. Some people just have NO TACT
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Well I'm sure I would be offended, in that why is she stereotyping autistic children? Since she looked about 20 perhaps she is special, and she pretty much told you she was, and after I thought about it, I'd let it go. Sometimes special needs adults do not have very good social skills or boundaries. The 20 marker puts me at the guess that she is not exactly old enough to be teaching special needs children. God help those kids if she is.....

No.  In the end my guess would be "bless her heart" and move on.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Interesting. My autistic kid wouldn't have let her touch him, let alone actually paint his face.

I think she was talking out her ass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My son is 3 and has speech problems, a lady said I was lucky to have a "special" child. I said, "okay, what does that mean?" She actually said, "he's retarded right?" I could have punched her. I don't know what is wrong with people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Sounds just like a royal know it all.. You're better than I am I probably would have been like "yea I can tell you're disabled" and smacked the mess out of her.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't be offended, but I would feel off. I would be thinking how she could tell a child had a specific disablility just by looking at the child. That is just weird.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2009