Can a baby develop Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in the third trimester?

Or can I have a drink already?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hmmm You should totally drink now.

must be bored on a sunday night.
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 10:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Why cant you just wait? Dont be selfish!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Baby can develop FAS at anytime during the pregnancy. If you are in your third trimester, then you don't have long to go. And if you are in need of a drink so badly that you would risk drinking while pregnant, perhaps you should join a support group.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Haha, I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be a good idea to go out and get hammered. As for one drink, I'm not opposed to it as long as its mild and you drink enough water, and probably eat food with the alcoholic drink.

In European countries, pregnant women are told to have a glass of wine every now and then. So I don't think one drink is horrible, just don't go crazy. Personally, I'm pregnant and I'll wait to have any alcohol until my baby is born... it's just not that important to me. But I say go for it if you want one drink that bad.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I used to work with a little girl with FAS. She was adorable and I loved her to death , but it's ot something I'd ever risk.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• are you kidding me? dont have a drink while your pregnant.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• the thing about FAS is they dont know why some babies get it and others dont.
    some mothers drink daily and have perfectly healthy babies, others drink once (i think it has to be a lot though) and their babies do get it.
    there isnt a 'safe' time to drink in pregnancy, i would wait.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Why even risk it? If your that desperate for a drink then I'd agree with the first poster you should seek out a support group.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You need to think about that baby that is depending on you to take care of him/her. You should wait till its born. What if something did happen even if it had nothing to do with a drink you would always wonder what if.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• When I was studying alcohol & drug studies we learned that FAS happens in some, while in others it does not, & they are not sure WHY. Studies have been inconclusive. But what they did see, is that some moms would drink throughout the whole pregnancy & their children would be fine, where as some moms would drink one drink at any duration of their pregnancy & end up giving birth to a child affected by FAS. Because it is such an inconclusive study, there is a major risk to drinking at any point in the pregnancy because you could be that small percentage that has that one drink & has a child with FAS. It also concerns me that you are so eager for that drink. I would suggest looking into your local Alcoholics Anonymous, or outpatient rehab center (they have them just for pregnant women in some places, you should check it out - google is a great tool). I wish you & your future child the best, you & the child will be in my thoughts..
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 6:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2009