spanking a 9month old

i am not totally "against" spanking. i try not to do it and dont think its the best way....i have always been suprised how often my sister in law and father in law ( they live together and basically parent together) spank her son 2 years old. and i was angry when they spanked mine once 4 years old... but now they are spanking the baby 9 month. just for like getting into stuff and "hitting" but really its just natural arm movement the baby makes! they dont beat the kids or anything, but am i they only one that thinks its inapropriate to spank a baby??

LadyDahl

Asked by LadyDahl at 5:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i move my lo's hand when she gets into things i move her hand and say no but id never spank her at that age! she would just feel pain nothing else not learning anything!
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• WTF? At 9 months all they're doing is teaching that kid how to hit! It's COMPLETELY inappropriate.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I think 9 months is too young. I'm a firm believer in discipline, but there are other forms then just spanking.
    If you don't want them spanking your children I'd stand up and say something.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 5:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• No you aren't the only one but then again as long as it isn't your kid and they aren't beating the kid just because you or I don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. If that is how they choose to parent then, ok.. Unfortunately it won't have much effect as the kid at 9 months old isn't going to learn anything from being spanked. When my son was that age all I did was pop his hand, Don't think I spanked him until he was over a year old.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• we did the hand swat thing but not til closer to 13 or 14 mos.... yikes! 9 mos olds .... spanking... never acceptable IMO
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• nine months old, is WAYYYYYY too young to be SPANKING....they aren't old enough to assiciate the discipline and I don't think they really understand that quite yet....

wow, spanking a 9mo old...still a BABY!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• The closest I have gotten to that was a little swat on the hand after repeted attempts at redirection. 9 months is too young for spanking. And I am concerned that you say they spank in anger.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:10 AM on Aug. 24, 2009