Spin off of another question

Why do people think it's just southerners or Christians that own guns and want to keep their guns? I am neither a southerner nor a Christian, and I have guns in my home, and have had them my whole life. My children were taught gun safety at an early age. It's a good thing I DON'T live in Texas cause I'd have that whole "pry my gun from my cold, dead hands" thing going on.

pagan_mama

Asked by pagan_mama at 5:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am neither southern nor christian. I own guns, always have. My kids are learning about guns from a safety POV.

My DH is semi-southern, no christian, and will vote soley on gun issues at times, to the detriment of other things.

And if you ever break into my home, may your god help you, because I am a good shot, DH is a crack shot, and we have a make my day law in our state. I am a lot more libertarian than DH on certain issues, but we are on the same page with gun rights.

Besides it's not people like us that you have to worry about owning guns. Ruby Ridge and Waco aside, most gun owners are not crazy freaks. It's the people who own them outside the law that are a problem.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 6:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• As a southern, Christian, gun owner, I also felt it is a prejudice held over since before the Civil War times. We are just dumb, gun toting rural good ole' boys who couldn't find their arses with both hands. People believe what they see on the Beverly Hillbillies, The Dukes of Hazard, Deliverance, The Andy Griffith Show, and shows/movies like that. They don't realize they are meant for entertainment. I enjoyed the humor in all of those (except Deliverance) because it poked fun at the colloquialisms of the region. So we like things to slow down, take time to relax, show your manners, go to a race, hunt if you choose, and sit up front on Sunday.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Where I live is one of the highest % of people who own guns! Alaska 57.8 unlike Texas 35.9
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Some people have an irrational fear and hatred towards guns and gun owners. They assume gun owners are all waiting to shoot someone. LOL

I've owned guns for over 30 years; can't imagine living without one. Never had any desire to shoot anyone, either. I don't know why it matters to people whether I own a gun or not, but some people are still offended by my gun ownership.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You are absolutely correct pagan.Let the anti gun freaks try to dis arm Americans and they will find out not only southerners like their guns.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• not only southerners like their guns.

Or Christians. What really gets me is the failure to understand that even liberals own guns, like my retired professor uncle (also not remotely a southerner, we're from Chicago).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Dh wants a gun in the worst way. We would fall into the Pennsylvanians clinging to our guns and bibles group I guess, lol. We won't get one for a long time because neither of us knows the first thing about gun ownership. I want to wait till the girls are old enough to talk to about it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Yep not only christians either.I know quite a few atheists who like their guns too.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• In my area, atheist Liberals own guns and hunt. I've read there are as many guns in the US as there are people. They aren't going anywhere.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Charlton Heston, was, I believe a Christian,but he most certainly was not a Southerner,and last time I checked, he was the best President the NRA ever had! Man,I wish he was still alive, I guarantee, Obama would NOT be trying to take this right away.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 7:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009