Was it okay to start feeding my five and a half month old solid foods?

I know I wasn't supposed to start solids until 6 months per Dr. and from what I have read, but my baby was constantly grabbing at my food and opening her mouth and chewing on her hand when I eat so I went ahead and started with rice cereal, once a day in the evenings. I give her about two tablespoons mixed with up to two oz formula. I am also breastfeeding and topping off with formula. I have done this for one week now and I want to start introducing sweet potatoes next. Should I continue just rice cereal or is it ok to start introducing a new food? Should I give rice cereal in the morning and the new veggie or fruit in the evening? How do I do this solid food thing? And did I start too soon?

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 5:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my doctor told me to start rice cereal when my son was 3 months old
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• If she is tolerating the rice cereal fine then I would think its fine to start with other foods. As long as you start the foods one at a time and give a few days before trying something new it should be fine. I started feeding my dd solids at around 5 months. One thing I did was stir the fruit into the rice cereal. She loved it.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I fed my babies rice cereal at just a few weeks old. Then after a few weeks, fruit. They thrived.They were also bottle fed. They slept all night in their own beds and I think it was because they weren't hungry. They are now healthy adults with their own kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i started at 3 months...on the jars of baby food stage one says 4 months and up, so i figured as long as she can handle it, why not..and i dont think a few weeks will make any difference..there isnt a certain date that theyre going to be ready, just got to try and see what happens..i wouldnt introduce too many different kinds at once, but your probly fine to try sweet potatoes now since youve been doing the cereal for a week...i think i read somewhere that it takes a week for them to get used to one food, not sure, might want to double check on that.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 1:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2009