spanking a 9 month old

i am not totally "against" spanking. i try not to do it and dont think its the best way....i have always been suprised how often my sister in law and father in law ( they live together and basically parent together) spank her son 2 years old. and i was angry when they spanked mine once 4 years old... but now they are spanking the baby 9 month. just for like getting into stuff and "hitting" but really its just natural arm movement the baby makes! they dont beat the kids or anything, but am i they only one that thinks its inapropriate to spank a baby??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 9 MONTHS OLD IS WAY TOO YOUNG TO COMPREHEND WHAT IS GOING ON ,SPANKING THAT YOUNG IS EXTREMELY UNNECESSARY!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I agree that is very inappropriate. I don't care if the baby isn't being beat, spanking any child under the age of 2 years is very sad...I don't condone hitting just sometimes kids need a swat on the bottom but kids that are old enough to understand what they did was wrong. Babies are just learning and exploring their environment.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Get the baby out of that situation no matter what you have to do. As a parent no one's gonna spank my child, especially a 9 month old. Just b/c they are older doesn't mean they are wiser. You have to tell a 9 month old what they can or cannot do start early, and I understand popping on the hand, but come on....I hope you get your kids away from these idiots!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• If you want to establish boundaries at a young age, the perfect time to begin is when the child begins to crawl and get into stuff. I have a 14-month old grandson whose mom taught him that when he began to hit her and crawl at about 8 months. He comes to my house now and he plays with his toys, and he goes all over this house(he's walking now), and he bothers nothing that he is not supposed to bother. All we have to do is tell him "no" and he moves on to something else. A nine-month old knows perfectly well that "no" means "no" if that "no" is properly reinforced. It works, and it sure makes homes a mighty peaceful place to live, and it sure makes for well-behaved children who respect boundaries and those who enforce them. To each his own, I guess, but I think your in-laws have found out the secret and they are just implementing what they know to be effective.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2009