Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

College Money???

My husband is going back to college for his second year in welding. He got loans and the pell grand (and a couple other small ones). But I'm wondering if there is any other places to apply for scholarships or grants for him for college (to reduce the loan amounts). I looked online but it's all for ONLINE class's. I'm not nocking them, BUT it's not what were looking for. If anyone knows of any helpful web sites, post them please.
Thanks :0)


Asked by Jabrw0ke at 6:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • First, FAFSA is NOT a scholarship, grant ,etc. It is the FEDERAL APPLICATION for financial aid that determines what you may be eligible for. That app has to be filled out to be eligible for any grant, loan, etc at any college. It is not a guarantee for money for school. Call the financial aid office at the college he is attending, they should have a list of aid available. You can also try your local public assistance office, I am in the Dislocated Worker program and the state of WIsconsin is paying for 2 years of tuition and books because I have lost a job within the last 5 years and my unemployment ran out before I found a fulltime job. You can also try www. Best of luck!!!

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

  • workstudy hours to pay off loans, work at the college as payback- work during college time and somehow it pays towards loans.

    Sallie Mae has signature loans, tuition answer loans aside from regular sallie mae. BUT they are based on creditworthiness. a credit worthy coborrower can be used or in that borrowers name with student as student.

    BUT in those even if loan is in another's name for creditworthiness, if that person does not respond to payment demands of bills then student is gone after.

    maybe a less expensive college?

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

  • what about financial aid?? its called fasfa. they have a website, i think its but im not sure

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

  • This is the only college in the area. So another would not be an option. Work is an option, and I'm not ruling that out. But I know that there are scholarships out there, I just don't know were to find them.

    Answer by Jabrw0ke at 6:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

  • We filled out the Fafsa, and it dose help SO much. That's how he got his Pell Grant. But it still left him having to take the $6000 in loans.

    Answer by Jabrw0ke at 6:19 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

  • The college he is going to should have a list of scholarships. Plus the local high school has list of scholarships. My sister called the local high school and they sent her lists of scholarships, then she asked her college for a list. My sister was already out of high school when she asked for the lists.
    Good Luck!

    Answer by lighthouse98 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009