Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Income Tax/ State tax?? help! :(

I was going through my important documents last week and realized that we never submitted our information for our state tax return! It was only $65, but we never filed it. I thought we had, but turns out it was just stuck back in there and forgot about.

Have any of you forgotten to file your state taxes? If so, what were the consequences of that? The penalties? Who should I contact to see what can be done, or what will be done, come tax time?

I don't know what to do and I don't want to be in "trouble", so to speak, come tax time.


Answer Question

Asked by laksmommy at 6:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • You can back file your taxes. I don't know the procedure for it, but I remember my mom having to do it.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

  • You can file them any time since they owe you money. If you owed them money that is when you might get in trouble. They arent as concerned about it when its you getting something back.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

  • As long as you don't owe the state any money, you should be fine. Just call your state dept of revenue and ask them what to do.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

  • Thanks, guys. I thought if I didn't file, I'd have to pay them more this time around; but we didn't owe them anything- they owed us. At the time, I couldn't justify spending $39.99 to get $65 back. I had intended doing it a few weeks after we filed our income tax (which was free) but I simply forgot about it as I had my son at the end of March...and I already had an almost 2 year old (at the time). Good to know that nothing will probably come of this. thanks.,

    Answer by laksmommy at 10:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.