I want to hear it from a Canadian what they like or do not like about their health care!

:) This isn't a question to stir things up I just want to know for myself if everything being said is true!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Health

• Okay. My Dad trained in Canada and practiced in Canada and all of us were born there but left. My Dad is American and Mom is Canadian. My father decided that medicine could be mortal up there. You wait to get an appointment, hip replacement, whatever. You can die while waiting because people are in front of you. It's tough to skip to the front of the line, even with a serious disease. Also, you do not get to pick your physician often. So, Joe Blow might who's trained in Thailand might perform your heart surgery and you better hope to hell he knows what he's doing. Get it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• OK I AM Canadian and first of all Joe Blow from Thailand would never be able to legally practice medicine in Canada unless he was trained here.  This is actually a huge issue because if doctors who are trained in reputable countries like Britain and the US were allowed to practice then that would ease our shortage of doctors.  Which is probably the biggest issue with our health system and why many waiting times are long. 

I personally have never had an issue with the system.  Waiting times are for specialists not general practitioners.  Which is why regular physicals and screening to detect serious issues early goes a long long way to increasing your longevity. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2009