I need clarification!

I was told at the beginning of my pregnancy that artificial sweeteners (especially splenda) was a pregnancy no-no. However, now that I have been diagnosed with GD (gestational diabetes) I am being told to have splenda-enriched sweets instead of sugary sweets. I know this is a normal change for diabetics, but wouldn't that contradict the whole no sweeteners thing for pregnancy? The packet they gave me when I was diagnosed was just for a diabetic diet in general, not gestational. Please someone clarify this for me...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• splenda does not contain aspartame, which is what most other artificial sweeteners are. that's why splenda is safe for diabetes patients and pregnant women
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i was told that artificial sweetners were ok once in a while, just not in large amounts or very frequently. maybe try using fruit and fruit juice for sweetning drinks and stuff?
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Gestational diabetes is in the secondary diabetes category. As far as diet you treat it the same as diabetes
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 7:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2009