spanking a 9month

i am not totally "against" spanking. i try not to do it and dont think its the best way....i have always been suprised how often my sister in law and father in law ( they live together and basically parent together) spank her son 2 years old. and i was angry when they spanked mine once 4 years old... but now they are spanking the baby 9 month. just for like getting into stuff and "hitting" but really its just natural arm movement the baby makes! they dont beat the kids or anything, but am i they only one that thinks its inapropriate to spank a baby??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ummmm, spanking a 9 month old is pointless. A child this young has no concept of why a spank is happening. VERY INAPPROPRIATE. Call DCF!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i dont agree with spanking at all. i think it only teaches kids anger and to hit when they feel angry too. and especially not a baby. if my MIL & FIL ever spanked my child, they would never be around my child again.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• babies under 2 do not understand spanking, report them to CPS, that is abuse!
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• A 9 month old should NEVER be spanked, that is a BABY and babies do not know what they are doing. That is abuse and should be reported as such.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I pop my 3 year old only on sever things like running into the street without me or for things for real important things. I would never consider EVER spanking a baby.. a nine month old is a baby.. that is abuse. Granted, I understand you are saying they never beat their children as so many moms and dads do.. but popping and spanking and beating are all different things. You should truly call the law and ask some questions on your state about whats legal age for spanking and what your state permits and do what you feel is best.
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Ok first off, not sure why the FIL has parenting rights over the kids but anyway! IT IS VERY WRONG to pop, spank, beat, paddle anything of that nature, to a 9m old and a 2yr old! Until they are over the age of 2 they have not even begun to learn deductive reasoning so it makes no sense. All the 9m old knows is that he is feeling pain. And um excuse me in what world does it make sense to punish hitting with hitting?? DUH!
    I pop my daughter who is 4 very rarely and it is for things I cant punish otherwise(hard to explain) point is it pretty much never happens. Time out since they were one and the corner since 3. I have a 2yr old son and kindness and explaining works best. We are to teach our children not control them! I would def be having a serious talk with your SIL and then calling the state! Something needs to be done!
    JaidedMomOf2

Answer by JaidedMomOf2 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Ok...well I think calling DCF is a little over-the-top. Unless they are beating their children or they are seriously hurting them I think it's a little much. DCF if for people that don't love their children, don't have the best intentions, don't want what is best for them....if that is the case....call.
    I do agree it is pointless to "spank" the 9mo. but....it isn't my child. I don't agree with a lot of thing other parents do. I would never want someone to come into my home and tell me that I cannot do what I think is best for my children because they don't agree with me. DCF is there for the children that are truly unloved and uncared (abused). If this is not the case...don't call. If you think it is a little much (and you think that it is serious enough to be your business,then talk to them! Bring them some research, etc..)
    BTW, It is NOT ok for them to discipline (in ANY way) your child if you have not said they can.
    Morganne1231

Answer by Morganne1231 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i dont belive in hitting ANY kids. especialy a baby whom doesnt know how to talk let alone know the word NO yet. its wrong any way u look at it!!
    texas_robin82

Answer by texas_robin82 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• They are idiots who need therapy.

There is a fine line between discipline and abuse

They flew over that hurdle years ago hon. Do what you need to!
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 1:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009