I am going to the obgyn tommrow to get put on birth control and I was wondering

What kind are you on and do you like it? Also has anyone tried yaz? I was going to get the mirena but im kinda scared so I was thinking of trying the pill first. Is it true the pills can cause cancer?
Thanks!

Chas21

Asked by Chas21 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have tried every birth control out there and i hate pills i always forget to take them and i always have a period i like the shot the best so far but i go on the 22 next month to get the paraguard iud put in. its non-hormonal.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 7:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have the mirena & I LOVE it! I havent had a period since I've been on it (light spotting sometimes though), my SO dosent feel it while having sex, it didnt hurt to put it in, you cant feel anything. Only thing for me switching to more hormons made me a little emotional for a month or so lol but thats okay I also got it at my 6 week check up after having my DD so my emotions were all over the place anyway so not sure if it was the mirena or other things!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have had the Paragard IUD twice I love it...no hormones and can last 10 years
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I've been on Mirena for 8 months, now. I haven't stopped bleeding, since, i've had my baby. I get bad headaches. I also gain weight really easily, so i have to watch what i eat, all the time. It's different with every one, though. You'll just have to ask your doctor, about you, specifically.
    ayeprettypretty

Answer by ayeprettypretty at 7:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I used to be on Nuvaring without any problems. You don't have to worry about any annoying pills. It's a ring you insert inside of you and leave in for 3 weeks. Actually the only prob I ever had with it is it got stuck on my guys penis. How embarrassing. Other than that it helped regulate my period (I could set my watch to it) and reduced heavy bleeding as well as cramps.

I must say, never try Depo. That shot doesn't react well with many ppl. I took one shot of it and it made me go bonkers for 3 months.

Talk things over with your doc and see what's right for you.
    geminigirl18

Answer by geminigirl18 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have used Yaz, and I would have to say that has been the best so far. I have also tried Ortho-Trcyclen, but wasnt crazy about it. Although I just had my second child and am breastfeeding so I am on Errin. It is alright, but I have a hard time remembering to take it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I'm on OrthoTriCylen Lo (actually the generic version is what my insurance covers). I just started it (my first time on the pill) and my family has a history of ovarian cancer (my mom). My OB/GYN sat with me and discussed all the options. I'm not breastfeeding - which is a big decision maker as to which pill you can get. My OB/GYN also uses this pill and she said the risk of ovarian cancer actually goes down and since I'm 38, have family history, had an ovary removed already, and just had my first baby, I'll take any reduction of risk. The studies on breast cancer are actually inconclusive. I need to keep an eye on them anyway since breast and ovarian cancer are related.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2009