what is a fair price for a doctor's visit? a prescription? a hospital stay?

All these health care reform questions have me wondering . . .

What do you think is a fair price to be taken care of at the doctor?

Keep in mind what you are willing to pay for a meal at a restaurant, a hair cut, etc.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 7:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Alot of these ladies think paying anything is unfair.They want everyone else to foot their bills for them so they can have it all 'free' all their basic needs are a right to be handed to them in their minds.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I pay 20 per visit for most drs, 30 to any sort of specialist. That is my copay. I notice the visits tend to be 100 - 150, depending on the dr (I get EOBs for everything I do.) For an ER visit, we pay 100, and that tends to be between several providers who bill seperately that we end up owing for. I cut my hand at work, and the bill was 2100. Stitches, a bandaid, and a shot. My kid swallowed a nickel - that whole fiasco was 3700. Again, we paid about 100.

Hospital stay - 100 copay, everything else is covered, as long as you do not go into the hosp more than once for seperate issues within a time frame. My DH had kidney stones, that was about 13k; he then developed pneumonia - cost us about 500.

I have never had to use the drs/hosp as much since I had kids. I could not have afforded the past 3 years without ins. I think the cost of my cut hand is the most ridiculous, and my DHs stay of 3 days for 13k.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 7:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I don't know about anyone else but I have real issues with the government deciding how much anyone should charge for anything. It is hard to put a dollar amount on healthcare to me. I want the best for my family and will gladly pay for it. Our pediatrician ran out of the tetanus booster and I ended up having to go to the heath department to get my son his vaccination. I would have gladly paid out of pocket to not wait in a room full of screaming children for 2 hours. It was a horrible experience and what I would imagine government healthcare to be like.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 7:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Ok this is what I paid on United Health group I thought it was very fair.

200 dollar deductible monthly
    Doctor visit 20 dollar co pay
    my prescriptions ranged 3-7 dollars
    What was expensive was birth control so I would go to my local health clinic they required an HIV test that was 10 dollars and would give me a free year supply.

I had my appendix removed and only paid 150 dollars out of pocket. I loved UHG. I never had any problems with them ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Depends on who you ask. Zero Liability Americans will say they should not have to pay for health care, it is a "right" in their mind. They feel Dr's should be servants to the state? Who knows.... Meanwhile rational Americans will appreciate the Dr's education, staff, building, etc, etc and understand that a fee is needed. They will understand the lawyers who are currently pulling the puppet strings in our gov't and how those lawyers don't want to lose clients, thus will not accept anything with the words TORT REFORM. Rational Americans also understand the need for competition in a free market and allowing insurance companies to compete across state lines for customers will bring the cost down. Consumers of insurance COULD expect more and pay reasonable amounts if they weren't following the lawyers politicians.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Here's what I pay with Tricare Prime:
    Doctor's visits $0
    Hospital stays and surgeries: $0
    Immunizations $0
    Prescriptions $0 if I get it filled at an MTF and $3.00 if I get it filled elsewhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• This is the reform we need. Get the price of the care in line. Anon :30 - all of us aren't in the military or dependents of someone who is. Tricare is not the UHC that is being offered to the rest of us. The country can't afford for all of us to be on the plan they use for the military.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I pay about 14000 a year for healthcare and scrips are often 75 bucks if they aren't generic. But we pay it because we NEED it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I really can't say because there are so many types of insurance that vary with how and what they cover. I'd like to look into the insurance companies and see how they formulate their coverage. I think we need to see what the "real" cost of health care is. There are so many charges for just having a baby that a person does not really know what it costs. I didn't because I have full coverage, thankfully. I don't have copays, and pay $3 a script. That is great coverage, but we all are not covered equally, and I think that is what Obama wants to change. I don't have any answers personally, but I do think equal health insurance for all should be a right.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Tricare isn't even Universal Health care. It's part of the compensation for committing time and serving in the armed services. You have to CONTRIBUTE and perform your military obligation to receive tricare. You (or your spouse) provides a service (their job), they get paid. Part of that payment is also health coverage. It's pretty simple to understand.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2009