What to do with a bunch of tomatoes?

We made salsa and have a bunch of tomatoes left over. What are some things we can make that uses a lot of tomatoes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Spaghetti sauce, or tomato sauce, even. You can boil them down making them very thick for saving space in the freezer.

Answer by Bmat at 7:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• you could make a caprese salad. Slice the tomatoes into 1/4" thick slices. Get some fresh mozzarella cheese (the kind that is round, not the block), and some fresh basil. Slice the mozzarella into 1/4" thick slices and layer with the tomatoes, kind of fanning them out on a platter. Tear a handful of the basil into pieces and sprinkle over the tomatoes and basil. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• yep..i agree with spag. sauce..and i use mine to make hot sauces.. .
    2manyangels

Answer by 2manyangels at 10:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Pasta sauce. In a large pot, put olive oil, chopped onions and garlic, cook until soft. Add ground beef. Cook until browned, drain. Return to pan. Add chopped and seeded tomatoes (I mush them in my hand first), a few cans of tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano. Let simmer for atleast 3 hours, I usually let it go all day. Put in containers that can be frozen. Let cool and freeze. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!! You can also add chopped veggies like zucchini, squash, carrots, etc. You can change up the meats or not use any. My grandma has used pork spareribs, Italian sausage.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Make marinara and freeze it.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Alton Brown's tomato sauce. The recipe is on the Food Network site. My lord, it's so tasty!!!

Failing that, send them to me and I'll make it! :)

I saw a few days ago where Tyler Florence made homemade cream of tomato soup on his "ultimate" show. It looked totally yummy and used more tomatoes than I've ever seen in one place outside of a store.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• antipasto...
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I make a Tomato and Onion salad. Just chunk up the tomatoes and slice some onions and mix with Greek salad dressing or Italian dressing. This is really good as a side to chicken salad.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Hunky Salad

cut up ripe tomatoes
    add thinly sliced onion rings
    chop some medium hot peppers

Put all together in a bowl, salting thoroughly. Cover and place in fridge. Take out occassionally to add some salt and stir. Make sure to taste so you don't over salt it. The salt draws out the juices.

Serve cold.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 11:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009