Our puppy has tapeworms?! What to do?!

I noticed today our puppy had worms in her stool, and I looked it up and it sounds like she has tapeworms, which you get from ingesting a flea. I cannnot say I am not surprised bc when we got her she was INFESTED with fleas poor baby! What a terrible owner she had before! Nonetheless, I have never dealt with a sick dog like this. Do I need to worry ab my older dog and my son? The two dogs are always trying to eat each other's food, and my son is 3 and obviously plays on the ground. What should I do? The vet visit is tomorrow, and the animal hospital said to just make an appt for tomorrow and keep the dog apart from the rest of the family until then, I just hate keeping her in her pet carrier until then but am scared to let her out!

Also, she just got treated with a flea ointment two weeks ago (she was too young and too tiny to get treated right away when I got her other than baths.) She is only a pound and a half.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Pets

• Just keep her separated and make sure to get her poop cleaned up right away when she "goes" as she can infest the other dog and may have done so already. You may want to have the other dog checked as well. Poor little thing! What people will do to defenseless little animals. Wish you luck!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 7:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I understand that to get tapeworms the humans would have to eat the fleas that carry the tapeworm eggs. So it is probably unlikely that your son has them. The other furry friends might have eaten the fleas, though, so when you take your puppy to the vet for the right kind of medicine to get rid of the worms, take a stool sample from her as well as the other pets.

Answer by Bmat at 7:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• As a veterinary technician, I encounter this questions all the time. If its tapeworms(the worms look like rice), then they cannot get it from eating after each other, etc. The other dog would have to ingest a flea that has tapeworm larvae in it. Same thing for people. Now, if it was a different kind of intestinal parasite...it might be a different story. The vet should give him Drontal or something similar. Take a stool sample with you to make sure there are no other parasites infecting your pet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• the vet tech is right, dont panic. a simple shot takes care of it. dawn dish wash is good to wash puppys with.
    pirate28

Answer by pirate28 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• To the anonymous poster in all caps, you did not read my full question. I called the animal hospital on a Sunday when she was sick and they told me to make an appt with the vet the next day. I was asking what to do in the meantime and for advice on tapeworms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Your pup won't give it to anyone else. As said they can only get it from ingesting a flea (or a rodent actually as well, there are two kinds of tapeworm) but are you absolutly positive its tapeworm? Since your pup had fleas it wouldn't surprise me either if it was. Anyway, the vet will likely give you pills one each day for like 3 days and it'll be fine. Tapeworm is one the less of all the evils in the parasite world that your pup could get. Easy to treat, easy to keep other animals from getting, even when they have them it doesnt hurt them as bad as other worms, think of it this way long ago people would take pills with tapeworm eggs so they could loose weight, thats about the worst a tapeworm is going to do (and take real nutrition away). but yes i'd definatly take stool samples in to be on the safe side, they'll want to make sure it is that type of worm first anyway.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 4:46 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Oh and if you can, if you see part of the worm come out in the poop again be sure to keep that with the stool sample as well, sometimes tapeworm eggs aren't always easy to see under microscope because it depends on when they shed them. I know it all sounds gross but you want to make sure you are treating the right worm.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 4:47 AM on Aug. 28, 2009