Bill Frist on Larry King

Said that it was really unreasonable of Obama to offer up to citizens the same sort of health care that the Reps and Senators were getting. While he supports health care reform, the people without health ins are not deserving of "...a very expensive health care plan, like the president has or a United States senator has." That is some of the worst blatant classism I have seen. I had to go find this transcipt to make sure I heard right.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/08/18/dean_and_frist_debate_health_care_97953.html

Of course, this is the man who's family business (HCA) paid hundreds of millions in 2003 to the govt to make reparation for their Medicare fraud.

This is the guy you all trust to make health care reform? A man who was part of the reason the HC industry sucks, to begin with? Who feels that those uninsured do not deserve the expensive plans that he and the Pres get???

Wow.

LiliM

Asked by LiliM at 7:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't really find it all that surprising, especially considering that the last Republican to introduce a bill on HC reform was Senator John C. Spooner of Wisconsin . . . in 1902. Since then they only have been concerned with consolidating health service programs. We are continually told, “We have better reform, we can change it, and it will be a better plan than the one being offered by dems.” Truth be told the only time we hear this from the GOP is when it is in retaliation to bills introduced by the Dems. It would be nice if these brilliant ideas were introduced in an avant-guard attempt to update and revolutionize our archaic health system, instead of an indignant desultory rebuttal. Political pandering aside, it is the American people that suffer from the indignation of complacency. I am tired of being the forgotten simply because the political ideologies in this country give us no other choice.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 8:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• No takers?

Not really surprising.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 7:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Wow let me guess you are the kind of person who thinks all 20 kids should get trophies instead of just the winner, or the kind of person when your kid loses a game you buy them Ice Cream cause it's okay to be a poor sport.
    ______________
    No I am sorry I worked hard for my money, I chose what plan I want and I INVESTED in it!
    I DO NOT think Joe Blow should even get free health care. HE should BUY it like I did (and pay into it for years), instead of never getting Ins. until O'dumbarse came around talking about sharing the wealth now Joe Blow wants Insurance screw him! He didn't want it before when he had to PAY for it but he wants it NOW that he knows he could get it for free!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• the link isnt working
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• 2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 8:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Well, when you include the ENTIRE transcript (2-1CAvWife's link), he's right!

(Frist)
    "I am hard-charging for reform, but I want to do it in a smarter way, with smarter purchasing, more choice, instead of having centralized bureaucratic control coming from the top. Come back to the doctor."

What's so bad about that? Not everyone is entitled to the "Cadillac" plan if they have not worked or it! Besides, the AMERICAN people voted in these politicians, because we thought they were the best and the brightest, and they would represent us--so now, they don't deserve a "perk" for working on our behalves?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I agree with him completely. Whats your issue?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• For those that complain about the change that is happening, examine the complacency that has lead to the desperation of the American people. This is not something that has happened overnight, nor is it going to be something that is rectified quickly. Political dogma has lead us to this point, and I fear without a departure from this feeble two party system, we are doomed as a country and a populace.

2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 8:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My issue? My issue is that he feels only certain people are worthy of really good health care. Senators, Presidents. The rest - well, we need to make do with some sort of health care reform. And even that - will only cover about 20 million of the 40 plus million who are not insured.

My point is 1) that this man was part of the largest fraud case ever at the time involving his family business, which is health care, and Medicare, and 2) he feels that only certain people - like him, his fellow Senators, and the Pres, are deserving of really expensive health care.

And somehow, this man is a leader in his party's reform? He only wants health care reform to come back to the doctor now - where was he 5 years ago? I did read the entire transcript, and Tnmom, you are one of the biggest complainers on here about the congressional health care plans. So you feel Pelosi deserves the health care she gets? lol
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 10:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• So defending the congressional health care plan is really somewhat hypocritical of you at this point.

As well, I agree with the PP who stated that the GOP seems to only get involved in this debate as reactionary, not as a party attempting to right something that has gone completely down the toliet.

Frist's statement to me was surprising because I didn't figure him for such blatant classist statements - that only certain people are deserving of really expensive health care. **I** personally feel that Congress, since they award themselves large pensions for life, since they give themselves COLAs on a regular basis - ought to have the same health care that they want those they represent to have.

The people in congress already have so much more than most Americans ever will - have they made sacrifices? - sure. But how many WANT to be there? They gain more than they lose. To admit they deserve better health care...
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 10:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009