WIC moms I have a guestion

I am was wondering if you can keep your current pediatrition (sp?) or if you have to go to thier nurses/doctors??? We LOVE our daughters pediatrian and would hate to leave her but We are in a situation that if we quilfy we could really use the WIC program to help us with our infant due in Oct. since my husband's hours have been cut and we are really struggling right now I can't even imagine how we are going to afford to buy formula and diapers for the baby and also provide for our 2.5 year old.

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 7:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes the WIC program really has nothing to do with the babies pediatrician, that would be your Dpt of Social Service if your getting Medicade, then sometimes than can go differntly. WIC measures your baby and get's their weight, and they make sure they are current on their vaccines. Diaper's there's no program for that, but use coupons all you can get!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• you keep the pedi.. wic has nothing to do with your childs doctor.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Thanks I thought you had to go to them for vaccinations and stuff .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 7:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• we love our pediatritian and were able to keep her. The only thing i use their nurse for is to do the finger prick for the iron and hemoglobin test since our ped. want to use a needle to draw the blood for that. She says its more accurate, but i don't think it is necessary to draw the blood. I think a finger prick is eaiser on the boys so that is what i choose to do. I don't see why you would have to switch pediatritians.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• they dont have to be current on shots actually, and yes its just for the finger prick if they are of a certain age they do it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• WIC has no control over your pediatrician the only time you may have to consider switching is if you had Medicaid and your pediatrician didn't accept medicaid.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• oops I hit enter before I was done typing... when my son has WIC appointments all I have to have is him (So they can do the iron, weight and assessment), his medicaid card and WIC folder. They say to have a shot record but not once have they ever even looked at my son's shot record (IF they do need it you can just get a copy of it from your pediatrician regardless of who it is)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• and btw with you being pregnant you probably already qualify for WIC which will help out with milk, cheese, cereal, juice, eggs and such for you now and then once your new baby is born of course you will get the help for the 1st year atleast.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• WIC has nothing to do with your doctors. all wic is dealing with is food.
    2006mommie

Answer by 2006mommie at 7:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• WIC only looks at the shot record as a way to verify the child's identity. They told me this. They dont pay any attention to if the shots are even up to date! (they figure it MUST be your kid if you have their shot record)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2009