The transition to the terrible 2's...HELP!

My daughter is 20 months now an I've been noticing a lot of changes in her, whining and fusteration wise. I am really not looking forward to this change. For example, we were just outside an she was pushing her cart around and when ever it got stuck for a second she'd scream an push it over an one of the tires falls off an she screams an throws it. She seems to get fusterated quicker and whines a lot more than she used to over nothing.
Here is my question, What is the best approach? Do I punish or do I comfort? I'm not really sure how to approach the 2's so any help would be great!

Nolas.Mommy

Asked by Nolas.Mommy at 7:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow!! Are you sure she's not my kid's twin? Depending on the situation, I have tried to reason with her. Like when one of her toys would get stuck and she couldn't get it. I used to ask her "Oh wow the toy is stuck...what should we do?" And then show her how to get it unstuck. After a few tries she did it herself without whining. Now I have put her in time out also. The constant fussing and whining because her brother was bothering her. It's irritating and I hate hearing it. So you get one minute in time out to settle down and when she get out I remind her how to handle her brother. I guess it depends on the situation, but we do a little of both here. Best of luck.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My daughter gets frustrated easy, or just gives up. I make her do it when she gives up, that is not something I am encouraging, and I our course give her lots of praise when she does it. When she is frustrated, I encourage her, that seems to help mine a lot. When she doesn't want to try and is whining, I ignore her, she is whinning a lot less. Now if she asks for help then I help her.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You should read Making the Terrible Two's Terrific by John Rosemond... it's really helped me a lot.
    yramali

Answer by yramali at 11:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2009