IM PREGNANT AND NEED TO CHANGE THE CAT LITTER ????

DH MOVED TO TULSA YESTERDAY FOR WORK I WILL NOT BE JOINING HIM UNTIL NEXT MONTH, ANYWAYS IM 1,000 MILES AWAY AND 7 WEEKS PREGNANT AND I HAVE 3 KITTYS THAT NEED THEIR LITTER CHANGED WHAT DO I DO? I DON'T HAVE FRIENDS OR FAMILY TO HELP ME IS IT OK TO CHANGE IT ONCE OR TWICE? I DON'T WANT TO HURT MY BABY BUT THE CAT BOX IS STINKY! THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ADVICE.

toledoohiomom

Asked by toledoohiomom at 8:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You are FINE to change the box as long as you scoop it EVERYDAY and wash your hands.

What you're worrying about is Toxoplasma and it is more commonly contracted from raw meat than cat litter

its a parasite that outdoor cats get from eating raw meat.

it is located in feces and takes 48 hours to be toxic to you, if you scoop everyday you should avoid this

if you do get infected cat feces on your hand you need to touch your eyes, nose, mouth or open cut to contract the parasite

if you WASH your hands and don't touch your face you will be FINE

cats get neglected to shit because of this stupid rumor.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• you can change it just wear something to cover your nose & mouth. then wash your hands really good afterwards.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have alway heard NOT to change kitty litter while pregnant, but i suggest you ask your OB/Gyn that question just to be sure the baby wont be harmed!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Wear some latex gloves and wash your hands afterwards. You should be fine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• wear gloves.. get a face mask.. and wash your hands after your done. I'd certainly ask friends and family to help most of the time but if it gets to where you can't stand the stank anymore.. that's what I'd do. I do it for my ferrets!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i just copied this from here http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/kittylitter

Although toxoplasmosis can cause serious problems in babies, it can be easily avoided by following some simple precautions:

•Let someone else change the cat's litter box if you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant. If that's not possible, wear disposable gloves to change it, and wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards.
    •Change the litter every day -- the parasite doesn't become infectious until at least 24 hours after it lands in the litter box.
    •Never give your cat raw or undercooked meat.
    •Avoid handling stray cats or kittens (kittens are more susceptible to the parasite).
    •Keep your cat inside if possible, so it won't be likely to dine on birds and rodents.

there is more info on that page if you want to check it out. you should be fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I have two cats and am a foster home for cats too. I changed litter boxes the entire time I was pregnant with both of my kids. You just have to make sure you wash your hands well when done (and I hope everyone does that anyway lol) google toxoplasmosis. That is the organism that cats can carry that can affect the baby. Find true facts about it--not old wives tales. Your cat actually has to have the parasite, shed the egg in the feces, then you have to ingest the egg and then it MIGHT affect the baby. Go ahead and change the cat box. You will be fine as long as you wash well.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I concur with staciandbaby.

You will be FINE there is nothing to worry about. I change the cat litter though my husband does it most of the time because its just easier for him to do it, not becaues I think its going to hurt me. The toxoplasmosis organism has a very specific life cycle and if you change the litter box EVERY DAY there is no danger to you. If your cat's are indoor cats and don't eat raw meat or vermin you risk is practically zero -- a cat shed eggs in their feces if they don't have it! I don't wear gloves personally since I'm not sticking my hands in the box, but I do wash my hands thoroughly after. Honestly, a mask is overkill (so are gloves in my opinion unless you know your cat is infected). Though I do advise, swtich over from a clay litter if you can. Clay is bad for you, bad for cats, and bad for the earth.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• As long as you cover yourr nose and mouth you should be ok for the few times that you have to do it.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Wear gloves, and a mask like from the hospital and you should be fine. Make sure, obviously to wash GOOD when you are through.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 8:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2009