I bought a small bottle of foam hand sanitizer for my sons lunchbox so he can clean his hands...is this crazy?

I am TRYING to stop any sickness....I do all I can do, lol.....

Do you think its helpful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in

• eatch the hand sanitizer due to high alcohol content. A bottle may have several "shots" of alcohol and if ingested, can make your child seriously ill/intoxicated
    manda13

Answer by manda13 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Hell no that's an awesome idea. Especially with the whole swine flu scare, I'd do the same thing if my kids were school age. I have a bottle handy though for when we go to public parks and stores, I'm not taking any chances!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I showed him how to do just one squirt....and he is very smart...smart enough to know not to lick it off......I told him not to share it....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• lol your child is not going to eat that crap, great idea mom.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Hand sanitizer is a great idea, but kids eat all sorts of things, even this product. I work in a hospital and ER, and kids have come in after ingesting this, you'd be surprised at the results of ingesting a small amt. This was even a topic on the Doctors last week, check it out... Overall, great idea though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• it is a good idea as long as you and he does not go over board with it, the problem with those types of produces is it also kills the natural flora ( good germs, that help keep us healthy) that is on our body. Washing hands and keeping your hands out of your face, and coughing or sneezing in your elbow is best, the number one thing to prevent the spread of germs...hand washing with plain soap and warm water.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• If you keep relying on sanitizers to help prevent germs and illness, your son's body will not learn how to use it's own immunities to fight disease and your son will get sick anyway. I would also be worried about the bottle opening in his lunchbox and getting the alcohol all over his lunch. Just teach him to wash his hands with soap and water. I would just put a few haniwipes in a plastic ziplock bag and leave them in his lunchbox.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I think it is a wonderful idea but check with the school to see if hand sanitizer is allowed in school. It's against the rules for our school. I put travel wipes in my daughters lunch box since they are not allowed bathroom breaks before lunch. Which I feel is a beyond dumb.
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• its against the rules at our school too.

they're sticklers for handwashing - and hand washing is advisable over the sanitizer - if there's no water use it but if there's water then wash hands.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I would buy the individually wrapped hand wipes and send those instead. You only have to send one in his lunch a day (i.e. no sharing) and there's no danger of it being eaten.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2009