Separation anxiety

Any suggestions on how to handle separation anxiety? My son is 16 months and is really attached to me. If I go out of his sight he starts screaming.

ashleydawn3830

Asked by ashleydawn3830 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i was told that the game peek a boo helps with this problem becouse i teaches them that you will be back
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I would put him somewhere he has to stay like his crib and say "mommy will be right back" leave for a few min and then come back and every time you do say "see i told you mommy would be right back" That helped with my daughter and try to leave for like 5 mins a day while he is with your hubby even if it is to just sit in your car by yourself and remember to tell him you will be right back. I always tell my daughter that, and i also tell her alot "mommy will never leave you for good, i will always come back to you" I realize 1) there may be a time that i dont come back being that God has other plans for me (lets hope not for a LONG LONG time) 2) that she really doesnt understand what i am saying, but one day she will. She is 15 months, and we broke it a little bit, but some days she still screams. good luck i know it breaks my heart!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2009