Choosing a doctor

In my last post I asked for advice regarding problems I'm having with my rude OB.

I am now on the fence about switching doctors or not...I'm waiting to see how things go at our next appt.

So, my question is....

How do you choose a good OB?

...and, on that note, how do you choose a good pediatrician?

The OB I have now is through a referral, which I always thought was the best way but obviously not. I know interviewing doctors is a good plan but what specifically do you ask once you have the appointment?

Thanks!

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, referral is usually the best way. A doctor should be board certified. You can ask them their education, years in practice, can look up via your county to see if they've been sued, ask who delivers you if they aren't in when you go into labor and how they feel about c-sections and how many they perform. But referral is usually best. Are you in a big city?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Are you high risk/do you have a need to be attended by a surgeon? You can consider a midwife (normal birth specialist), if not.
    We usually start with the list within our insurance provider options.
    Do you have any personal (friend) recommendations?
    You can create a list of questions based on your personal interests. (You are the client, you're hiring the specialist to provide a SPECIAL service).
    Call a few and set up "Meet & Greet" appointments. Getting someone that clicks with you is important!

(*I have a list of questions I use for midwives~ can be used with either.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I ask which doctors get behind schedule the worst. They are the ones who will not rush, and patiently handle all my questions. Then I try to make my appointments either first thing in the morning, or first patient scheduled after lunch. I ask lots of questions of my doctors.
    wildtamer

Answer by wildtamer at 9:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Thanks for all your great answers...

Jeanclaudia, I dont live in Dana Point, CA which is part of Orange County.

Doulala, can you send me the list of questions you ask to give me an idea of what I could ask?

Munchkin09

Answer by Munchkin09 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2009