Do birds of a feather truly flock together?

Do you purposely find people of your faith, or no faith, to be friends with only; or do you find that you are friends with people of all kinds? What if you meet someone, find you have tons in common and get along great with, but then find out their belief system is different than yours....what do you do?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm friends with anyone that is a decent human being that can put aside their POV's on certain subjects we may disagree with.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I'm not prejudiced against anyone of any skin color or religion, job, education or mentality. Crap like that is rude and unforgivable. I was horrifically bullied when I was a kid, I was very very thin and extremely shy. I was well behaved, very good at some things and not others. Proudly my three kids with two in adulthood and one upcoming emulate me and appreciate all who respect others more often than not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• i dont give a shit what religion people are. sometimes it makes for a good conversation when we have different believes. just the other night at the bar i got into a conversation with someone i just met because he was roman catholic and i dont believe in organized religions and we had a heated debate, it was fun. i probably couldnt be friends with a born again christian who is preaching the lord all the time though.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I'm with you Salem.....if someone shows me they are a kind human being, and can live their life according to their heart, thats fine by me! i have more christian friends than not. Actually, I am the only atheist amongst all of my friends and family.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Religion is only ONE part of the whole person. So I have friends of all different ffaiths and beliefs. We just don't discuss the religion aspect. However that being said, I have friends I lock horns with in the R&B section, but still go grab coffee with later. I'm not going to isolate someone completely because we can't agree in one area of our lives. There's more to the book than the cover.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I tend to be naturally drawn to those that have similar beliefs. I think this is because our beliefs tend to shape how we live and what we do in our lives. So, we tend to be in the same places or acting the same way... And in turn find one another and become friends. But, I am pagan, my husband is Christian. I love him dearly. So, I don't think it's always that way. I have had many friends over the years that held different beliefs than me, it didn't make them any less my friend. I think it just comes down to the fact that those with similar beliefs will hold similar life styles and thus become close by defalt... It doesn't mean that they go looking for one another... So, I would say Yes and No. I prefer to be around those that act like me and that I will get along with... If we have drasticly different views we wouldn't get along and wouldn't be friends... But I don't prescreen anyone - lol! I'm friendly with anyone!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I choose my friends by the "character" of the person. Someone who has integrity and who is kind and compassionate to ALL people...

I don't think I could be friends with someone who isn't that way...as long as you respect me..I'll respect you..I may not like what you believe and disagree with some of your beliefs, but we are who we are and only God has a right to judge that.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I don't care what religion somebody is. If they are good people and mean well we can get along just fine! I do find that I tend to stick to people my age, though, and people with children close in age with mine-its just easier, I suppose. I also have very opinionated and extorverted friends, which is interesting considering I"m completely the opposite.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 9:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• If I DID have friends, I think I'd have some of all walks of life becaue then the conversation would be stimulating.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• its only natural to look for commonalities between you and other people; it makes sense when you think about it. the more you have in common with another person, the more likely you are to get along, even when little quabbles come up. that being said, hanging out with, or becoming friends with only certain types of people can limit your whole being. it restricts your learning of the world and understanding human nature, and can immobilize your heart. there will always be differences between two persons, even persons of the same religious faith, or those without a faith. how do you expect to win friends and influence people if you befriend only certain ones? its likes putting conditions on love, or in the very least, friendship.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2009