Anyone have dachshunds as pets? how are they with babies and kids?! Ours has a wonderful personality, does it make a difference?!

ediswife

Asked by ediswife at 9:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• OMGGGG! My Dachshund LOOOOOOOVES babies.... She is kinda scared of little kids like 2 and 3 that chase her.. But she just runs from them she doesnt bite or anything. But babies she just wants to cuddle with them and lick them. Im pregnant and she freaks out everytime I bring home an outfit.. LOL she flips out and has to snif it and make sure there is no baby in it. Also when my friends bring over their babies we put the baby in another room so she cant lick the baby to death while crawling around and my dog freaks out if she cant see the baby she gets very protective of them.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 9:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Ours does great and so does my grandpa's. My kids are 2 and (almost) 6. They do amazingly better than chihuahua's (which we used to have). Just be careful that the kids (once yours is older) aren't picking them up and dropping them. Their little backs can get hurt.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 10:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My BFF works for animal control. She said the two breeds they pick up the most for biting little kids is cocker spaniels ans Dashunds. Even the most loving dog can be jealous over a new baby and the attention they lose. Just be really careful. Do not leave the dog alone with the baby, ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I was a vet tech before I was a SAHM, and I don't as a general rule care for small dogs and little kids. In my experience, they're not a good combination. Small dogs tend to be nervous and very possessive; if you have one already, he/she may become really jealous of the attention the new baby gets and resentful. I agree, don't leave the dog alone with the baby; introduce them gradually and your pet may come to accept the child as one of "her/his" people. In time.

When or if you decide to get your child a dog, go for a lab or a Retriever. Dalmatians, while popular from the movie, are high-maintenance. The most amiable, in my experience, are the big dogs, like mastiffs, Great Danes, and St. Bernards, but they're often a little overwhelming. Labs are something everybody can love.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 11:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2009