How do you introduce the new baby to your two year old?

My son is the typical rough and tumble little boy who is constantly moving and getting into things. In about five weeks, I'll be giving birth to a little girl. I haven't really thought about how to introduce them when she's born. Right now we tell my son he's got to be gentle with mommy's tummy cause he has a baby sister in there. But he doesn't understand. So how do you introduce the new baby?

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 10:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter was 3.5 when my son was born. we had a bday party at the hospital (mini cupcakes, a 0 candle she blew out for him, and a small gift from the baby for her). get him a baby doll and show him how to help take care of baby, theres a great book called "i'm a big sister" (theres brother too same book just changes boy to girl) and says how babies can't do anything, they cry, sleep and eat but big brothers can help mommy and eat fun food and play etc...have him help, throw out diapers, bring you a clean diaper, bring you a pillow to lean on, whatever. you'll be surprised i sure was. and my daughter is the greatest big sis ever, my son is now 3 months old and she tells people how to take care of him, from grandpa and grandma to a stranger at the store. just let him help as much as possible and include him in everything you can.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Great advice! The best piece of advice my midwife gave me was to let the older child hold the baby any time they want, even if the baby is sleeping or whatever. It really helped a lot because my daughter learned that babies really can't do much, and they are pretty boring, and that you have to be really gentle. We also made her wash her hands every time she wanted to hold the new baby. After about a week, she didn't care so much.

You know what else? I think your son just may surprise you. Even though he is a rough little boy, he might be super careful about the new baby. I was so worried with my two, but things worked out great, and they have a great relationship and my baby is about to turn one. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:38 AM on Aug. 24, 2009